How To Respond?????

Business By zubia Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm by springlakecake

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #1 of 6

Hi ,I have been doing cakes mostly for friends and family and their friends or recomendations.I haven't done many wedding cakes yet. Did 2 but had to assemble on site and still waiting for the bride to send me pictures.(friends of friends)
Any way ,I started advertizing ,left my cards with hair stylest and other people. I am getting emaisl from people who are asking me to show them MY wedding cakes.How do I handle this I have no traditional cake pics.HELP what to do ?????
I am planning on making few dammy cakes but need help with current mails

5 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 6:50am
post #2 of 6

If you are advertising your cakes please be sure that you can legally have a home baking business. All states/couties/cities are different and this may not be allowed. You don't want to get a call from the health inspector!!

If all is well, then I think making cake dummies is an excellent idea. And then start talking pics of everything you make!

Good Luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:18am
post #3 of 6

You can also get quite a few pics from one set of dummies.

Ice and add ribbon border ... take pic #1.
Add dots and scrollworks .... take pic #2.
Add some florals .... take pic #

Assemble cake on pillars ... take the above 3 pics
Assemble cake stacked .... take the above 3 pics

You can get 4-6 or more pics out of the same cake. This is also a good way to show brides how they can alter a cake ("Just add some flowers for THIS effect .....")

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you very much for the ideas Debi.I got 2 sets of cake dummies ,now I'll get as many pics as Ican decorating them.
southaustingirl I did check about home baking ,the guy at health department did say Ican do it ,and on CC it alkso says that in my area I can sell but not to vendors.Thankls ladies for help.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 6
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 6

If you can bake from your home kitchen, that is great! You still may need to be inspected/licensed to sell from home. You probably still need to form a legal business....ie pay TAXES! If it were me, I probably wouldnt hand out business cards until I was sure what I was doing is legal.

As for people asking to see your work, just show them what you have done. I did do one wedding cake before and I just told the lady I hadnt done one yet. But she saw my other work and was satisfied. Dummies would be great too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%