How Do I Paint Fall Leaves?

Decorating By gmilton Updated 14 Oct 2008 , 11:54pm by lorrieg

gmilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmilton Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi -

I was reading some other posts about painting white and milk/dark chocolate leaves and I've decided to give it a try. I read where some posters said they used luster dust to paint the leaves and I was wondering if you're supposed to dry dust the leaves with a brush or mix the luster dust with some alcohol and paint them? Which would be the easiest way with the best results?

Thanks,
Gina

4 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 5

Probably mixing the luster dust with an extract or vodka will work better than dry dusting. Dry dusting may not stick and the effect will be very slight. Practice on a couple of scrap pieces before working on your actual leaves.

HTH

Michele

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 5

It depends on the look you are going for.
Personally I would dry brush. I think it would look nire reak,

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 5

I too would preffer to dry dust - i have never painted with alchohol or liquid on chocolate - lol

a nice colour though that gives that reddish tint on the edges of the leaves is to use "rubine" colour - looks beautiful - ive only used this on paste flowers though, so first try and see if youre interested that is!!

Good luck

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 5

I just did chocolate fondant leaves for cupcakes and dry brushed the colour on. It seemed to get sticky and never dry when I tried vodka. I then steamed quickly to set the colours and let them dry after that. Be careful with the steaming. You could end up with mush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%