Going To Try My Hand At Cupcakes In A Jar...

Baking By andpotts Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm by u4cake

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 69

Wish me luck, my hubby is deployed and he and the other guys have a real hankerin' for some home baked goodness, it seems to take about 5 days for packages to get to them from here so I'm going to bake them and seal them in the small bell jars and hope for the best. I decided to play on a halloween theme and do candy flavors, Snickers, chocolate cake with layers of crushed peanuts, carmel and topped with chopped up mini Snickers. Also thought I'd try Mounds, Whopper and a Peanut Butter cup. Hmm, let me know if you have any other ideas, I'm excited to try, hope they come out good! Andrea

68 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 69

Have you ever tried baking your cake in a canning jar? I have done it several times for gifts. Make a quick bread recipe like banana or pumpkin bread. Sterilize one pint canning jars in hot water ( I run mine through the diswasher). Spray the jars with non-stick spray and fill half full with batter. Set jars in a 13x9 pan (easier to take in and out of the oven). Place pan in oven set at recommended temperature and bake till done. Remove and immediately screw on sterilized lids. Use a kitchen towel or oven mitt, the jars will be hot. As they cool you will here the seal "pop". After they have cooled make sure they hve properly sealed. They will stay fresh until the jars are opened and the seal is broken. I sometimes make them weeks ahead of time and store them until I am ready to give as gifts. It might work for what you want to do.

andpotts Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:13am
post #3 of 69

Thanks for the idea, I've always wanted to try the cakes baked in a jar too. Project Cuppys to Qatar went well, they came out really tasty and cute, hope they make it safe and the guys get to enjoy them! These were really fun to make. Andrea
LL
LL
LL

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 69

Cute, Cute.. I love what you did. Hope they get there safe and sound and the guys get to enjoy them, too.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 69

Oh My Love the way they look. That is a wonderful idea! How did you do it? Did you bake then put in the jars-decorate? Oh please let me know. I would love to do something like that.

Jewels14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewels14 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 69

Yes, I would like to know more as well. I have a friend there too. What a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing!
thumbs_up.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 69

Hope your husband is able to come home soon. What a wonderful idea - these cupcakes in a jar - how on earth did you do it?

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 69

They are just beautiful and I sure hope they get to the ones who really deserve them. Tell hubby we are all so lucky to have him and the rest of the troops working and risking their lives for us. icon_biggrin.gifusaribbon.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 69

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Cuppys to Qatar . . . . . . for some reason that name just cracked me up!!! What a cute idea! I'm glad they came out good. Thanks to your husband for serving!! usaribbon.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 69

Please let us know if they get there in good shape. I always wondered if they would sweat in the heat and get moldy.

andpotts Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:53am
post #11 of 69

Thank you all so much for the positive thoughts and well wishes, you all are so great icon_smile.gif Well there have been lots of questions and pm about these so I'm going to try to answer all of the questions all at once.

First of all this is not an original idea of mine, I was inspired by a big discussion we had going about cupcakes in a jar back in April. They are really cute and fun and I hope they make the trip, I will let everyone know thumbs_up.gif

I got the Kerr/Ball widemouth 1/2 pint mason jars at Albertson's grocery store for $10 for 12. I will see if I can find them cheaper at Wally world next time I'm there.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/canning-pantry_2019_5426044

I baked the cupcakes in liners and then cut them all in half (top & bottom) and just layered them in the jars with whatever candy, nut, frosting, topping combo. I used 3 cupcake slices per jar to get a good fill. Next time I'm going to bake in the jumbo cupcake pan as I think they will fill the jars better, the normal size cuppys were a lot smaller round than the jars, but still worked.

I tried boiling the jars before filling, just like with canning jams, in hopes that the hot jars would seal the lids, it just melted the frosting so after that I let them cool before filling. I also tried putting one in a hot water bath after putting on the lid to see if it would seal before cooking the insides, that didn't really work either icon_confused.gif So I just screwed the lids on tight. I tied a spoon to the top of each with ribbon.

I send cookies and brownies, but these are a bit more perishible. I always mail priority and it takes 5 to 7 days for stuff to get there from here, keeping my fingers crossed! I will be making these for friends/family in the US, they are too cute not to. Thanks for looking icon_biggrin.gif Andrea

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:40am
post #12 of 69

i remember that discussion! (patent pending LOL) anyway, those cuppies look delicious. i love the ribbons and the spoon is just a great idea. crossing my fingers for you that they get there safe.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 69

They are wonderful. I want to try them. I have seen the jars that you are referring to at Wally World. I might try the Dollar General store to see what they have. Another CC member posted a website that she bought her jars from. i think it's further up on the thread.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 69

I want to try these as well. Great idea...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #15 of 69

they sell the jars in a box of 12 for like 4.99 I think at Save a Lot.....so if anyone has one of those. Not sure if it's just MY save a lot or if they all have the same stuff

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #16 of 69

I so hope they got/get them ok ! I just did the bake a cake in a jar! They turned out perfect! Im not sure how I want to send icing along with it though ?
But a dessert bread/cake will be perfect, Im wanting to add these to my Holiday gift baskets. I did a strawberry cake so It will look xmasy. I think a fruit cake or something colorful would look very pretty, Yours turned out awesome!

andpotts Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 69

Project Cuppys to Qatar was a Success!! They made it safe and sound and fully edible icon_smile.gif I am so happy! Thanks for all the well wishes, here's a direct quote from my hubbys email...
"We got the cupcakes today. They were very good and everyone loved them. The only thing you might be unhappy about was the frosting had melted to the bottom of the jars, but no one cared about that. I told everyone to go get to work and they don't get lunch because they had cupcakes!"

Just in case anyone is wondering they took approx 5 days to get there I sent them in a large Priority Flat Rate box (I love those) So happy it worked thumbs_up.gif Andrea

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:53pm
post #18 of 69

Andrea.. Way to go ! thumbs_up.gif Im sure they are already looking for the next ones icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #19 of 69

Those are too cute Andrea! I'm so glad they made it there and your husband and co. was able to enjoy them!

Those have been on my list of things to try ever since I saw them on Etsy.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #20 of 69

icon_biggrin.gif Just had a brain storm...would this idea work with a cookie layered in the middle? Here is the link I have been following for doing this with a cake. I think it's possible. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=601531&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 69

Andrea, how did they do in the shipping? Kinda funny, I was gonna send some to Al Alsad, but wasnt sure how they'd be! Yours turned out super cute!!!!

andpotts Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #22 of 69

I know this is an old thread, but I've done these lots more times and figured out a pretty good system in the process, I've come a long way from my first effort icon_smile.gif I have tried to answer questions via PM's over the years, but figured I should just go ahead and post my tips and tricks with the original post icon_smile.gif hope this helps!

The CC's in a jar make such a cute and fun gift, people really feel special when they get them.

I tell people for best taste eat them within a few days or put the in the refrigerator for up to a week and just let them warm to room temp before eating.Or freeze them and thaw to room temp before eating. When I ship them I tell them to refrigerate or freeze as soon as they arrive.

I got the Kerr/Ball wide mouth 1/2 pint mason jars at Albertson's grocery store for $10 for 12. http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st......19_5426044
The first time I made them (http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606603-jar.html ) I baked regular sized cupcakes in liners and then cut them all in half (top & bottom). I used 3 cupcake slices per jar to get a good fill; they were a lot smaller round than the jars so there was still room around the outside, which accounts for some of the filling spilling down the sides and getting messy looking.

Since then I switched to the Jumbo size cupcakes and when cut, filled and layered they fit in these jars perfectly!!! I use a LARGE scoop to fill each Jumbo size liner. Oh my gosh, what a difference the jumbo size made! I cut each in half and layer them in the jars with whatever candy, nut, frosting, topping combo.. I use sleeve filling and buttercream to try to keep them as shelf stable as possible because I mail them. I boil the jars and lids and let them cool before filling.Once assembled, I just screw the lids on tight and I tie a spoon to the top of each with ribbon. (I use Torani flavored syrups to enhance the different buttercreams, just play around with the flavors its fun)

Some of the flavor combos Ive done;

Snickers: Chocolate cake/ Caramel (sundae topping)/ Chopped honey roasted Peanuts/ Buttercream (peanut butter syurp)/ Chopped bite sized Snickers on top.

Mounds: White Cake/ Toasted Coconut/ Dark Chocolate Chips/ Buttercream(coconut syurp)

Dipped Strawberry Shortcake: White Cake/ Buttercream(white chocolate or chocolate syurp)/ Strawberry Sleeve filling

Peanut Butter Cup: Chocolate Cake/ Buttercream (peanut butter syurp)/ Chopped-Up PB Cups

Red Velvet: Red Velvet Cake/ Buttercream (cream cheese syurp)

Black & White: Triple Chocolate Cake/Buttercream/ Chocolate Jimmies

Pumpkin: Pumpkin Spice Cake/ Buttercream (cream cheese syurp) or Chocolate Buttercream

Bliss: Lemon Cake/Buttercream / Raspberry Sleeve filling

Boston Creme: Chocolate Cake/Barvarian Cream Sleeve Filling/ Chocolate Buttercream

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #23 of 69

Just curious... Can you make these and freeze them? I love having a sweet treat every so often but I would have to make a whole cake since I'm the only one who would be eating them. TIA!!!!

dess1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dess1023 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:37am
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Quote:

I tell people for best taste eat them within a few days or put the in the refrigerator for up to a week and just let them warm to room temp before eating.Or freeze them and thaw to room temp before eating. When I ship them I tell them to refrigerate or freeze as soon as they arrive.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #25 of 69

[quote="andpotts"]Since then I switched to the Jumbo size cupcakes and when cut, filled and layered they fit in these jars perfectly!!! I use a LARGE scoop to fill each Jumbo size liner. Oh my gosh, what a difference the jumbo size made! I cut each in half and layer them in the jars with whatever candy, nut, frosting, topping combo.. I use sleeve filling and buttercream to try to keep them as shelf stable as possible because I mail them.

I need help...I'm a little confused...do you bake a jumbo cupcake and also line the jar with a jumbo liner?? icon_cry.gif Thanks!icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 69

Have you tried just baking a sheet cake and using a round cutter the same size as the jar instead of baking cuppies? Would that work?

rikkijo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikkijo314 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #27 of 69

I use a food saver machine with a mason jar attachment to seal chocolate and other things that might melt in jars, do you think it would also work to seal these cupcakes?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:28pm
post #28 of 69

Thanks for getting back to this thread. I'd never heard of this before now, and today they're all over the place! I love the idea. Just a suggestion: it seems to me that the second post in this thread, suggesting that the cakes be baked in the jars to start with, is right on the money. It does just what canning normally does: starting with a sterile jar, adding contents and cooking and sealing immediately with a sterile lid, you end up with a jar filled with something sterile and isolated from outside contamination. Done this way, these cakes should last indefinitely. Of course, if you want to decorate them or layer them, that's another problem... Even so, I'd bake them in the jars, because it would be so much less work. I'm dying to try some of these!

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #29 of 69

I'm with Marianna with the sterilization and baking in the jars.

I'm going to try this with the bakeable fillings from http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs (which is from Help, Gourmet flavors here on CC).
Then pack a bunch of those little condiment cups with lids filled with a basic buttercream and they can add that when they open the jar cake.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #30 of 69

PLEASE do not consider these cupcakes to be storage safe!!!
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_can_breads.pdf

Canned breads and cakes are not recommended for home cooks or canning;
choose cake or bread recipes that you can freeze. Many cake and quick bread recipes
contain very little or no acid and thus have the potential for supporting the growth of
hazardous bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, if they are present inside the
closed jar. C. botulinum causes an often fatal foodborne illness, called botulism. Given
that many of these bread and cake recipes have been shown to be low in acid, the
major barriers to prevent microbial growth are limited to: (1) the dryness of the product
and (2) the lack of oxygen inside the closed jar (because of vacuum seals).
Recipe
variations such as the addition of fruit, zucchini, liquids, etc. all contribute to available
water for microorganisms to use. In addition, lack of oxygen alone does not prevent the
growth of all harmful bacteria. The vacuum seals do not remove all oxygen, so some
would still be available to the bacteria which do need it.
-
Research at Kansas State University, reported in the Journal of Food Protection
in October 1994, showed that heat-stable microorganisms can survive the baking
process and multiply in the breads during storage. Using their own banana-nut bread
recipe, the researchers at Kansas State University baked the bread in glass jars and
sealed them following methods consumers are typically using. A heat resistant
microorganism that is often used in tests to determine when a canning process is
adequate to produce a safe product was added to the batter for some of the jars. In the
breads that had the test microorganism added, it survived all baking and storage
treatments. Vacuums in the jars (an indication of oxygen removal from the headspace)
were good, but apparently not good enough to be the only control; microbial growth still
occurred since enough moisture was available.
Underbaking was found to be another
serious problem. The Kansas State researchers also looked at a range of baking times
that still produced acceptable bread to taste panelists. Those breads baked at the
shorter times even showed that microorganisms that were naturally present could
survive in the baked breads
-
More on the link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%