Mad Hatter Halloween Tea Party...ideas?

Decorating By chelseafitz Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm by nanikins

chelseafitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseafitz Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, my daughter is going to be Alice in Wonderland for Halloween and I thought it would be fun to have her little friends (she is 5) over for a halloween tea party. I am completely stumped on what to do. Does anyone have any great ideas. All I could come up with was bubble tea, and I know they eat the plates in the movie, is there a good trick to making plates out of gumpaste?
Thanks,
Chelsea

5 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 6

This could be SOOOO fun. Oh, I am jealous of you!

Look through Collette's book (cakes to dream on) for inspiration, and just do a cake like that, but in orange and black and purple-Halloween colors. Use lots of sparkle dusts to make it glittery, and if you can, do some wired decorations of spiders sticking out, or something like that. You can make it spooky and adorable and girly at the same time.

I wish I had a cake like that to make!

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 6

One of my books has a great idea for making plates out of gumpaste:

Cover a china plate with plastic wrap and a fine dusting of cornstarch. Roll out the paste and cover the plate. Trim the edges. Leave the to dry for 12 hours. Then turn the plate out of the mold and remove the back lining. Place on a bed of crumpled tissues so the other side will dry. Leave for another 12 hours.

Haven't actually tried doing this but hopefully should work.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 6

You might also consider chocolate or candy melts for making your plates.

Good luck! It sounds like tons of fun!

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 6

Perhaps you could make some chocolate mice out of candy melts and fill a teapot with them - doesn't the dormouse sleep in the teapot during the tea party.

I'm not sure it would be worth making gumpaste plates - the children would not eat them anyway.

How about white rabbit or playing card shaped cookies? Even cupcakes with a fondant Cheshire cat or caterpillar sitting on top.

That's all I can think of right now!

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%