Anyone Ever Heard This Expression Before?

Business By loriemoms Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 23

Yesterday I was delivering a wedding cake (my fourth for the day, so I was pretty tired) and the head chef asked me if the cake had a certificate. Being the tired country bumpkin I was, I said "huh? whas that?" (he must have thought I was an ediot! haha) He then said "Do I serve the entire cake?" and I said "oh, yeah! Yes!"

My DH and I were wondering...did he mean did I give a certificate for a free anniversary cake? (its just in my contract, I don't give any certificates..too much trouble!) or did he want to know if I had a certificate to show him that he needs to serve the entire cake or not to serve or what? We just never heard this term before and was wondering if this was a common term used? Are there others we should know in Chef-eeze?

22 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 23

Beats me..........I've never heard of that either. Maybe he meant a "cutting guide" paper or instructions. Who knows, maybe he was hitting the "sauce" while he was cooking! icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

4 Wedding cakes in one day.........my goodness loriemoms you rock! That's awesome to be that busy......Congratulations! Hopefully you can rest today.

Enjoy your day,
Deb

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 23

He wanted to know if it passed the certification. You don't have to have your cakes certified?

Mike

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

He wanted to know if it passed the certification. You don't have to have your cakes certified?

Mike

. . . icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:

Mike

Huh?? What certification? I live in the same state you do and I've never heard of such a thing. Are you joshing me?? icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

Mike

Huh?? What certification? I live in the same state you do and I've never heard of such a thing. Are you joshing me?? icon_smile.gif

You do know Mi adopted the '05 food code. right?

Mike

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 23

I think he was kidding. I personally have all my cakes certified by a board of internationally reknowned cake decorators before delivering to each and every event.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

I think he was kidding. I personally have all my cakes certified by a board of internationally reknowned cake decorators before delivering to each and every event.

Me too! icon_lol.gif

No Mike, I didn't know about the '05 food code. I know Michigan has stringent rules on bakeries but not on cakes specifically. I've delivered to banquet halls and such for years and have not come across this. But then again it would be easier giving a great white shark a root canal than it is getting any info out of state! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

Mike1394 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif

Dang it, you got me! icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 23

Hey Mike, will you be at the DOS this weekend?

Mike1394 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:

More than likely not, since I don't know what the DOS is. I have to work all weekend. I just got off about 2 hrs ago, and going back tonight. GRRRRR the life of a bread maker.

Mike

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 23

The DOS is the Days of Sharing -- the Michigan ICES chapter. Every state that has an ICES chapter has two "state meetings" as it were, and they are called Days of Sharing. It's a lot of fun. You might want to consider it! icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 23

Mike is just like my husband... he can deliver a line with a completely straight face and be joshing you to beat the band! I can just see him snickering all the way to the Board of Certification.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Mike is just like my husband... he can deliver a line with a completely straight face and be joshing you to beat the band! I can just see him snickering all the way to the Board of Certification.

I know, and I'm so gullible I'm an easy mark! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Yesterday I was delivering a wedding cake (my fourth for the day, so I was pretty tired) and the head chef asked me if the cake had a certificate. Being the tired country bumpkin I was, I said "huh? whas that?" (he must have thought I was an ediot! haha) He then said "Do I serve the entire cake?" and I said "oh, yeah! Yes!"

My DH and I were wondering...did he mean did I give a certificate for a free anniversary cake? (its just in my contract, I don't give any certificates..too much trouble!) or did he want to know if I had a certificate to show him that he needs to serve the entire cake or not to serve or what? We just never heard this term before and was wondering if this was a common term used? Are there others we should know in Chef-eeze?

My guess is that the " cake lady" he is familiar with brings a certificate for a free tier, and he is used to handing that off to the caterer.

Mike1394 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:

The DOS is the Days of Sharing -- the Michigan ICES chapter. Every state that has an ICES chapter has two "state meetings" as it were, and they are called Days of Sharing. It's a lot of fun. You might want to consider it! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll check it out. Do you have to be a member, or is it open to the public?

Thanks,
Mike

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

I'll check it out. Do you have to be a member, or is it open to the public?

Thanks,
Mike

You should be an ICES member. Check out www.michiganices.com for information.

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:

Mike

No but some days I feel certifiable!

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Beats me..........I've never heard of that either. Maybe he meant a "cutting guide" paper or instructions. Who knows, maybe he was hitting the "sauce" while he was cooking! icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

4 Wedding cakes in one day.........my goodness loriemoms you rock! That's awesome to be that busy......Congratulations! Hopefully you can rest today.

Enjoy your day,
Deb

Thanks! This weekend was crazy..I had a wedding friday night, 4 on Saturday and one this morning (Sunday) and just finished my consultations. (booked two more weddings for next spring!) next week, I only have two weddings then the week after that I have four weddings. and a wedding show on Sunday! THEN I get to finally rest!!!!! Just a few weddings in November and I think wedding season will FINALLY be over!!!!
This year for thanksgiving we aren't even doing anything family. Just the two of us are going to our camper at the beach and sitting for the entire four day weekend.

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:24pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

More than likely not, since I don't know what the DOS is. I have to work all weekend. I just got off about 2 hrs ago, and going back tonight. GRRRRR the life of a bread maker.

Mike

OMG you are a bread maker? I will trade you a cake of my signature chocolate suprise cake if you will make me a decent italian bread. They don't exist in NC. Period. Or a good broche. I miss good bread.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

OMG you are a bread maker? I will trade you a cake of my signature chocolate suprise cake if you will make me a decent italian bread. They don't exist in NC. Period. Or a good broche. I miss good bread.

Oooooo ...bread maker...I am envisioning Nicolas Cage in Moonstruck...hot and sweaty and yummy...minus the wooden hand (and Cher) of course icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm
post #23 of 23

[quote="txkat]

My guess is that the " cake lady" he is familiar with brings a certificate for a free tier, and he is used to handing that off to the caterer.[/quote]

That is what we suspected...this was at the progress energy building on the 21st floor. I wonder if they have a regular person who usually does cakes there? I didn't even know there was a place up there! (its the old building) Most of my downtown deliveries are the sheraton and cafe luna. This was my first for progress...very nice place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%