I Know Everyone Hates Pricing ?'s... But Please??

Decorating By mindywith3boys Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm by kandu001

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I made this cake for my husbands office party this weekend and two different people told me they wanted to order it for Thanksgiving. I need pricing help. It's a 9" and a 10" with buttercream and MMF leaves and MMF basket.

Thanks guys!
LL

8 replies
xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #2 of 9

1st of all...ADORABLE!!! I love it. I would charge $50 or so at least. I'm probably not the besst one to ask, though. I just ordered Cake Boss and I hope it helps me with my pricing questions.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #3 of 9

It's gorgeous, I see why you have people wanting one for their own! I'd say in the ballpark of $4 - $5/serving and possibly an additional charge for the leaves.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

That's 30-ish servings.. with all of the detailing I'd say no less than $100.00.. and that is barebones minimum..

I'd charge at least $175 for that.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 9

I agree that you should charge more than $50. In the Wilton Yearbook, a party 9" cake serves 24 & a party 10" cake serves 28 for a total of 52 people. To take into consideration all of the decorative work you did, I would suggest at least $5 per serving. That works out to be $260. Now, if you did a 4" high cake for each tier, then it would double.

Paul

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 9

Mindy---

I just realized that I already doubled it. That $260 quote would be for 4" tiers. If you only did 2" tiers, then halve this, or $130.

Paul

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 9

That's so pretty! I would charge as much as you think they would pay. $250+ doesn't seem at all unreasonable for such nice work. You could do the old. "Well, I normally charge $350 for this cake, but since you work with my husband I'll do it for _____. " Everyone like to feel like they are getting a discount.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 9

That's so pretty! I would charge as much as you think they would pay. $250+ doesn't seem at all unreasonable for such nice work. You could do the old. "Well, I normally charge $350 for this cake, but since you work with my husband I'll do it for _____. " Everyone like to feel like they are getting a discount.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 9

I would definitely charge at least $100 for that beautiful cake! It takes a lot of work and there are quite a few servings too! princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%