I'm Finally Legal...will You Please Look At My Website????

Business By CakeParlour Updated 14 Jan 2007 , 6:11pm by Terri_A

CakeParlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeParlour Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:33am
post #1 of 39

I have been scared to post this until I was legal and licensed (I'm renting a kitchen and just got my health department permit this week!).

Before I upload this site to my URL, will you please critique it for me? Be ruthless! I've already gotten some good suggestions and made some changes, but I know my Cake Central friends will be honest!

Thank you!

Here is the link: http://web.mac.com/manleyandrebekka/iWeb/The%20Cake%20Parlour/home.html

38 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:45am
post #2 of 39

That's awesome! You have superb talent! The website is a very professional-looking one. The only thing that bugs me as the when you get to the homepage, you can scroll down. IDK, it just bugs me when it's like that and it shouldn't- because it's fine how it is w/o the scrollbar that causes one to distort the centering of the page.

Did I make sense? But that's the only thing- the rest is awesome! Your work! Your design! Your composition! thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:46am
post #3 of 39

I think it is elegant and modern. Will you be adding categories in your gallery later, or will you specialize in wedding cakes alone? Congratulations on passing inspection and getting your license. Now you can advertize and enter bridal shows with your business cards and people will be beating a path to your door.

crazydaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydaisy Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #4 of 39

Way to go! I think your sight is great. Your cakes are gorgeous! The info is straight forward and your have a lovely selection of flavors. Love your name too icon_razz.gif Best of luck to you!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 39

Wow Rebekka, very professional. The site is great, easy to click through, easy to read. I don't have any critiques for you. Its really fantastic!

Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #6 of 39

The site is very nice, but------------------are all those cakes done by different people? Some appear to have a completely different skill level. Why I ask is because of copyright infringement. I'm sorry if this is not so, but I have had my work on websites I did not agree to and I hope this isn't the case here.

CakeParlour Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 39

To answer some questions, I can only accomodate large orders...it's not economic for me to rent a kitchen for an hour to make a small birthday cake, so I will only be doing wedding cake and large party cakes. That's why they are all tiered!

And I agree with the scrollbar thing, however, I see it on all the pages on my computer. Maybe it's different because I have a Mac? It's really annoying, I don't know how to get it off!

Ya'll are being so nice to look at it for me! I really appreciate it~!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:54am
post #8 of 39

Hello and welcome to Cake Central. I'm sure you will get a lot of positive feedback on your new website and congratulations. I loved the site and it came up quickly, your photos were very sharp and the contrast to their backgrounds was great as well.

I have a few comments and/or suggestions.

1. I love your pictures but I always wish people would make them larger, especially when clicked on so the potential customer can see more of the detail. I think this would be a great selling feature.

2, Your Featured Wedding page is an 'awsome idea' and I just loved it, however I would move it after the About page just to "Get the Potential Bride in the Mood to Shop for Wedding Cakes", ha, ha!

3. Perhaps you might want to consider changing the order of your tabs as follows:

- Home
- About
- Fetured Wedding
- Gallery
- Flavors
- Princing
- Contact

Your Gallery is your selling 'agent' and should be as close as possible to the front of the site, while the pricing is where-it's-at for you, it's not where-it's-at for the customer until they have decided to either:

1. See if they can afford you, or
2. Want to Place an order, or
3. Contact you

All in all, it's a great website and I wish you much success in your baking/decorating endeavour!

CakeParlour Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:55am
post #9 of 39

Oh, yes....they are all by me! Haha! They do have different skill levels, because I have gotten better as I've been learning. (I hope!!!!) But, out of curiosity, which ones seem to be the lower skill level cakes? Maybe I should take those off?

CakeParlour Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:59am
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

3. Perhaps you might want to consider changing the order of your tabs as follows:

- Home
- About
- Fetured Wedding
- Gallery
- Flavors
- Princing
- Contact

I totally agree! Thank you!

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:00am
post #11 of 39

I Like - especially the "featured wedding". Love that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:02am
post #12 of 39

I agree that the pictures could be bigger. They're lovely and you could see more details. On the pricing page, the words "can not" should probably been cannot. If you go to the bottom of your webpage and delete the spaces, it should make your webpage fit without scrolling.
Congrats on your past and future success!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:02am
post #13 of 39

CAKEPARLOUR: Your site is lovely! The "featured wedding" section is so different and catchy. You really weed out the "party shoppers" with your wording--and you do it very tastefully! icon_smile.gif

I'm so glad to see another "Tennessean" on CC, too. Congratulations on your new license, location and web site! thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:10am
post #14 of 39

Your web site is great! only one suggestion...the gallery is uneven..lol you need to make 2 more cakes to post! lol

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:12am
post #15 of 39

Yeah, I really love that featured wedding...very cool to see and read about the couple with your cake. icon_wink.gif

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:13am
post #16 of 39

Your site looks great.
I would agree that it would be nice to see more detail of the pics.
Oh, and I love the "featured wedding!"
Overall, it's very elegant, simple and professional.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:21am
post #17 of 39

I think it looks great, just needs a few tweaks! I can't believe your prices start as just $1.75!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:58am
post #18 of 39

Just wanted to say congrats...I am so happy for you!!! I think your site looks GREAT!!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:03am
post #19 of 39

Congrats! Your website is really beautiful, I love the cake with the little nest on top. You go!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:15am
post #20 of 39

your website is wonderful! I agree about changing the order of your tabs and love the wedding feature!
Your cakes are awesome...congrats!!! I love the name of your business too!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeParlour

To answer some questions, I can only accomodate large orders...it's not economic for me to rent a kitchen for an hour to make a small birthday cake, so I will only be doing wedding cake and large party cakes. That's why they are all tiered!

And I agree with the scrollbar thing, however, I see it on all the pages on my computer. Maybe it's different because I have a Mac? It's really annoying, I don't know how to get it off!

Ya'll are being so nice to look at it for me! I really appreciate it~!

To remove the scroll bar try this:

On this line

<body style="background: #ffffff; margin: 0pt; " onload="onPageLoad();">

Change to : (add scroll=no to the end of the line as shown below)

<body style="background: #ffffff; margin: 0pt; " onload="onPageLoad();" scroll=no>

My husband is a programmer and he copied your code and tried it on his computer and it worked so give it a try. Good luck!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:00pm
post #22 of 39

Your cakes are just beautiful and your site looks great! If the pics could come up a little bigger I could see more detail on the one with the basket type look. I LOVE THAT LOOK and want to see more detail! Congratulations on getting all legal. I don't believe in luck but I wish you many blessings in your business. Be sure and post here too so we can watch your work.

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:35am
post #23 of 39

Your site looks great! And I, too, love, love, love the "Featured Wedding" idea! thumbs_up.gif

Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:47am
post #24 of 39

Looks awesome. I ditto the comment about not believing your prices start so low! I suppose different areas may be different, but it still seems below what you could charge for what you're producing.

As to taking any of your cakes off, NO (the "lower" skill level ones)! They all look wonderful and no way a bride with little-to-no decorating experience would not be very impressed. Nice job.

Good luck!

CakeParlour Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 2:28am
post #25 of 39

Yeah, that didn't feel very good, being kind of "accused" for putting someone else's work on my site, haha! I would never do that!

Thank you all so much for your nice comments!

I feel like I have to charge low at first because I am a new business. I hope after a year or so I can up my prices icon_smile.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #26 of 39

Beautiful site...agree with a couple of the previous suggestions...especially to make the photos larger when you click on them.

Sweetgurl...your comments were surprising. Unless you believe one of the cake photos has been plaigairized from you, I though it was careless of you to insinuate this.

kellylowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylowe Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:33am
post #27 of 39

Beautiful cakes Rebekka, and I to love the featured wedding feature. I was also wondering cause it's not something I have mastered yet. HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THE CREAM CHEESE ICING ON THAT CAKE SMOOTH? I didn't think that was possible. Mine is always kind of sticky.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:49am
post #28 of 39

Wow- those are wonderful! You could definitely charge more with that kind of talent-- My favorite is the one with the dogwood blossoms!!! Congrats and good luck!!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:49am
post #29 of 39

I think your website looks very professional thumbs_up.gif Congratulations on being legal and best of luck. Disregard any of those "not so nice" comments icon_biggrin.gif

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #30 of 39

I agree with Sue. Ignore the party poopers in life. They are beautiful cakes and you should get nothing but praise and happy wishes at you special time!!! You GO girl!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%