Going Legitimate Please Help!

Business By duchess1120 Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm by cakelady15

duchess1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duchess1120 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:01am
post #1 of 2

I have a dilema and need advice. Making cakes is my passion and right now it is a hobby. I want to open a legitimate business but don't know what to do.

I live with my family and will soon be moving into an apartment which won't allow for a homebase business. I checked into renting a commercial kitchen and am waiting for the application to go through and to get pricing on rental costs. The upside/downside is that I may be starting a new job next week which will only leave the evenings to work out of the commercial kitchen. It is located on a side of town that I don't feel comfortable being in alone after dark.

I was thinking of just selling a few cakes here and there to build clientelle and improve my skill but don't know how to do that with my living situation and time to decorate.

Any advice you guys have will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

1 reply
cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 2

I started out in a tiny one bedroom apartment, but I am in a state that allows home bakeries. It was hard to do and I was working a full time job while I was doing it, but I made it work. I couldn't take as many orders as I wanted to because of the space, but I saved all the money I could and this month I moved into a 4 bedroom house so I have all the room I need to make cakes nowicon_smile.gif Sometimes it just takes some time, but if you want to really do it you will be able to find a wayicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%