Agbay Users.......help! Excited But Totally Confused Too....

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 1:44pm by staceyboots

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:08am
post #1 of 4

So my husband came home today with a brightly wrapped package..... for me. It is not my birthday. It is not our anniversary. I am immediately wondering what in the name of God the man did that was so bad that it required this kind of appology, lol!! icon_lol.gif

Low and behold, he had gotten an Agbay for me, the double blade and everything. After I picked up the mess ( I almost we my pants ) I looked at the directions and then said "Whaaaaat?".

If someone has used this before, can you tell me how this puppy works? I read the whole bit and see that it has two different lines so you could lop off the top of a cake and torte it at the same time.....but can it cut a 2" cake into 4 layers. ( I soooo want to be like Margaret Braun and make those amazing cakes with 9 layers of cake and 14 layers of filling - not exact but you get my drift!)

Do you guys have it pre-set all the time? Do you use the setting to level the cake and torte it and then adjust for smaller layers? Is it as easy to use as I have heard and drooled about? Because I bought the Wilton leveler a couple of months back and I am only now getting my sanity back - that puppy was a homocide inducing rage machine, I wanted to throw it across the room and out the door after it mangle many a cake.....

I have heard so many say that the Agbay is different and won't do this...... thanks icon_wink.gif

3 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:20am
post #2 of 4

. . . wow . . . you lucky girl . . . I don't have any tips for you . . . but just wanted to let you know how lucky you are . . . icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:28am
post #3 of 4

icon_redface.gif ok, I will share the drama behind this...... we sold a mutual item that we were no longer using and I sort of told hub that he could do whatever he wanted with the money. Well, afterwards, I felt sort of resentful. I am not sure why but I guess I thought "Crap. he is going to buy a bunch of tools for the garage, meanwhile I am shopping on a budget, etc."

So when we got paid for this stuff, I stashed the money and never really put it in the mutual fund. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't planning on keeping it, I just was waiting for the right time to talk to him and maybe suggest we use it for bills, etc. or if he had something in mind, maybe we should split it..... (can you see now where this is going?)

So one day turns into five and I still haven't talked to him about it.......and then today he walks in with the whole gift thing. Well the only thing that kept me from losing my cookies was the fact that I hadn't given him the whole "We should split it" speach, when he was clearly planning on buying something for me, sheesh. icon_redface.gif

Cripes, I felt like dog poo..... icon_redface.gif Just thought my cake friends might enjoy the 'behind the scenes' stuff - why lie??? It's more interesting that way!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 4

i got my 2-blade Agbay about a month ago and I absolutely love it!!

The 2 blades allow me to level the tops off my cakes and tort it into 2 layers at the same time. Sorry...but you wouldn't be able to tort the cake into 4 layers in one go.

I like my cakes to be approximately 4" - 4 1/2" high when filled so I bake my cakes (2 pans) so that they each are 1 1/2" high and my BF set the 2 blades at 3/4" and 1 1/2" (so each layer is 3/4" tall all the time).

I love the fact that I can set the blades at those heights and never have to worry about adjusting them ever again. You can change the height whenever you wish though.

Oh...and be careful...those blades are sharp. I cut my finger the first time using it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%