Business And Politics Don't Mix - Any Advice?

Business By eriksmom Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm by eriksmom

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:41am
post #1 of 13

I have this client who keeps sending me political propaganda in favor of her candidate, who is not my choice of candidate. I am very passionate about my politics, yet I don't advertise my political preference on my car, in my shop, or any other way that would let my current or potential customers know my political beliefs. I don't feel they have any place in my business.

But she keeps sending me this stuff. She sent me one last week, and in reply, i sent her a link to a snopes.com fact page. Didn't sign my name, make a comment, or anything. Apparently she didn't take the hint that I'm for the other guy. Still she keeps 'em coming.

It is becoming rather annoying. Its stuff like photoshopped pictures, made up ridiculous stories that couldn't possibly be true, things like that. (sometimes I think she's just completely clueless dunce.gif )I'm certainly not offended by her choice, as everyone is entitled to their beliefs. She and I are not "friends". The daughter of a family that she is friendly with used to work for me on occasion, and that's how she found out about me. But we are certainly not "BFF's", not even close.

So what do I do? Do I politely ask her to please stop sending the political crap or do I just keep deleting them and let it go? I am proud of my party, and have no shame in telling anyone who asks whom I support, although unlike her, I don't shove it in peoples' faces or solicit it in any way. I guess that's the part that is offending me.

I appreciate her referals, as well as her business. Her other option for baked goods is the local grocery store, which is fine with me, if it were to upset her that I spoke my mind. I certainly don't want to burn any bridges or bruise my business reputation, but she is starting to really get on my nerves.

Any thoughts? Other than, don't let it get to me.

12 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 13

Let her know that your inbox in getting inundated with emails and in order to keep on top of your work (because your computer time is very limited), you ask that she only send you business related e-mails.
HTH!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 13

I work for an elementary school and friends would send me forwarded jokes, political stuff and all kinds garbage to my work address. I simply wrote them and told them that I couldn't receive personal mail at my work address due to mailbox size restrictions and that it hard to stop.
I think a whole lot of people just forward all that stuff to everyone in their addressbooks, without thinking.
Of course, I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that politics and friendships don't mix! If you say you're for the "other guy" she just might step up her efforts to try and convert you!

Don't feel bad. That kind of thing bothers me too!

Jodie

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 13

I have to do this all the time. For some reason, I wind up on everyone's mailing list for one thing or another. I just send a quick note (usually a reply to the email) that says:

Please take my name off your list for (political/religious/sappy) emails.

Thank you!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it. These emails are unsolicited. You're not the one being impolite here. icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 13

I think a gingerly way to handle this would be use a filter. However, I'm not sure if all email programs have this feature. Usually its attached to a spam filter.

Anyway...whatever she sends, filter it, so the political mail will go to the "trash" and everything else to your inbox.

I have several email addresses and use filtering so each item related to a certain email address, goes into its own folder.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:40am
post #6 of 13

It's not just you, she's sending them to everyone on her address list. This is just plain rude! My step-sis used to send me all this crap, too.

Just send her an e-mail telling her to take you off her mass-mailing list.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:19am
post #7 of 13

My SIL keeps sending me things like that too. The funny thing is she knows I'm not voting for the same person as her icon_mad.gif . It's a policy never to talk politics at my brothers house, because half my family is republican and half are democrat. And let me tell you, those conversations get HEATED! They get so pissed off because I won't vote for the candidate they like............Do you know how hard it was to write this without saying who I was voting for shhh.gif .............I don't want to start a controversy icon_lol.gif

I just want to add that I'm proud of who I'm voting for, I just don't want things to get ugly by saying who icon_lol.gif

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:53am
post #8 of 13

I guess I just wouldn't want to risk offending a customer. I would just delete it. I have people sending me stuff all the time, it really doesn't take a whole lot of time to hit that old delete button.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:50am
post #9 of 13

I agree with the filter, I would add a filter in which all her emails go until the election is over, then you can just delete the contents of that folder every now and then.

Some people are easily offended, and because she brings you business and referrels, you don't want her to get upset about you not supporting her poltiical beliefs!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 13

I agree that business and politics don't mix. In fact when I was just at the AC Bakery Expo I walked up to a vendor only to hear her bashing one of the canidates and once that person walked away she started it again with another customer there. And I was amazed, I thought why here? This isn't the place for that, why would you be openly negative about a candiate to people you don't even know. It just seemed very unprofessional to me.
The filter is a good idea, but there is only a month left in the race maybe you can delete them until then. If she keeps sending you junk emails even after the election I would send her a quick note to take you off her mass emails.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Let her know that your inbox in getting inundated with emails and in order to keep on top of your work (because your computer time is very limited), you ask that she only send you business related e-mails.
HTH!

I agree with this, she is just sending these emails to EVERYONE on her contact list, which is making her look like a fool. Email her and ask her to take you off her contact (aka mass mailing) list as it is effecting your limited email space for business transactions. Don't mention anything about politics for either side. If she has a problem with that then she's really not the kind of customer you want in the long run.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

HTH!

I agree with this, she is just sending these emails to EVERYONE on her contact list, which is making her look like a fool. Email her and ask her to take you off her contact (aka mass mailing) list as it is effecting your limited email space for business transactions. Don't mention anything about politics for either side. If she has a problem with that then she's really not the kind of customer you want in the long run. If she keeps doing it forward the email back to her and repeat your message.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 13

UGH! she just did it again!! @#$%#$!!
She does email me about cake stuff sometimes, so I guess I'll have to ask my DH to set up the filter tonite. I really just want to email her and tell her what a dumb %* I think she is, but I will bite my tongue, sit on my hands, or whatever it is that one does to maintain control.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%