Wrap For Cake Boards????

Decorating By dmhart Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 10:38am by dmhart

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 10

What do you use to wrap your cake boards? I want to use something that looks nice but is also cost friendly.

Just thought there should be some great ideas here. icon_wink.gif

9 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 10

I've seen alot of people use wrapping paper and then they cover with plastic wrap. I've never tried it though! I just try to buy the cake drums but they are expensive.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 10

One can use *anything*: foils, fzr paper; fabric; wrapping paper; mylar; etc etc. to cover your boards but.......then you have to either cover it w/contact paper, or cellophane or something that is grease proof &/OR put the cake on a same size cake board that is glued to that covering.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 10

You can also cover your boards with fondant.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 10

Wilton Fanci-Foil - works like a charm every time. It's cheaper at WAL*MART too!!! icon_lol.gif

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E312365-475A-BAC0-56EB4259BBF926EF&killnav=1

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCakes

Wilton Fanci-Foil - works like a charm every time. It's cheaper at WAL*MART too!!! icon_lol.gif

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E312365-475A-BAC0-56EB4259BBF926EF&killnav=1

That's exactly what I was going to say! I buy my Fancifoil at Walmart because it is so much cheaper. You could always get it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby if you were willing to use one of your 40% off coupons on it. But it's quick and easy!

dmhart Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCakes

That's exactly what I was going to say! I buy my Fancifoil at Walmart because it is so much cheaper. You could always get it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby if you were willing to use one of your 40% off coupons on it. But it's quick and easy!

That sounds good. I checked out that web site, I like that stuff. That will make a pretty board. Thanks guys for your help, I knew I could count on ya'll. thumbs_up.gif

If I wanted to do something with color to match my cake is there anything eles anyone would suggest?

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:33am
post #8 of 10

foil is much cheaper at the flower factory...its a wholesale flower outlet store in Cleveland, Ohio....it starts at 4.25 for a roll. They also sell cellophane. You can order online...go to http://www.flowerfactoryinc.com/

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #9 of 10

Be careful, though--because other than Wilton Fanci-Foil (gold & silver--I believe the white has been discontinued), very few other decorative foils are foodsafe. icon_eek.gif

If it's not marked foodsafe, then the foil may have lead in it (in particular if it's colored) and that leaches into fatty & acidic foods. There needs to be a barrier (cake board, parchment, wax paper, etc.) between the cake & the foil, if this is the case.

Rae

dmhart Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:38am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Be careful, though--because other than Wilton Fanci-Foil (gold & silver--I believe the white has been discontinued), very few other decorative foils are foodsafe. icon_eek.gif

If it's not marked foodsafe, then the foil may have lead in it (in particular if it's colored) and that leaches into fatty & acidic foods. There needs to be a barrier (cake board, parchment, wax paper, etc.) between the cake & the foil, if this is the case.

Rae

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%