Virginia... Home Bakery

Business By lkoenig07 Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 12:41am by costumeczar

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 19

I know there is already a post about states the legalize home bakeries, but I want to know more about Virginia specifically. I'm moving there next year, and I saw that Virginia was on the list for legal home bakeries, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that I could look at for more info? Also, would I have to have a separate kitchen, or could I just use the same one??

18 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 19

If the state allows a 'home bakery', it generally means you can use the home kitchen.

Usually, you need separate storage and refrigeration, handwashing set up, and no pets.

The licensing is usually through the state department of agriculture.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 19

You will need to contact the Dept of Agriculture. Each county is different.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 19

There is a long post about this topic. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-407883.html
Also, you don't need a separate kitchen and you can have pets. You do have to separate your cake items from family items used in the home. I'm working on getting myself licensed as well. Just waiting for some work on the downstairs kitchen (this is my choice as the oven that came with the house is a stinker and I wanted my own area and another stove).
HTH

lkoenig07 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #5 of 19

Thanks all!! This is great to hear!!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #6 of 19

lkoenig07: i too am in the process of trying to get a license to bake in my home. i called Va Dept of Agriculture (804) 786-3520 and they mailed me a packet of info. i have read through it but it is kinda difficult to understand. they did include a name and phone # of a contact person to help which is good.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 19

it is really easy to get legal in most of VA-the State allows it- but some cities there have ordinaces that prevent it. It just depends on the city. I.e. in Norfolk VA you can NOT have a legal home bakery. In Virginia Beach VA, right down the road, it is very easy to have a home bakery. Pretty much as long as you put a rubbermaid tub in your fridge that says cake stuff and you don't have vermin or bugs, you can do it. Check with your local dept. of AG- If you are headed toward VA Beach, it's on Diamond springs road. Don't worry- they don't ask you ANY personal information when you ask for a packet or call them and they will send it to you. They don't go "after" you-because they know that ppl bake cakes, and they appreciate that you are trying to find out info. Matter of fact, I've checked out being legal in several states, and none of them actually ask for my name or anything else when you are just asking for info packet. icon_smile.gif

lkoenig07 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 19

Great!!! Thanks so much for the info!!! Does anyone happen to know about Quantico or anywhere near there? We're moving to VA because my hubby has training for the Marines in Quantico. I'll be living off-base around Quantico, not sure where still, but I wanted to get an idea before we moved about this.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #9 of 19

sorry, i'm in the hampton roads/peninsula area. maybe somebody else will chime in to help you out. best of luck to you and your family in your move!

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:00am
post #10 of 19

lkoenig07-I used to live in Fredericksburg near Quantico. It's a great city, just got over populated. When we moved there, there were cow fields everywhere and when we left, it took me 45 minutes to drive 10 miles to work on a Saturday. Stafford (Garrisonville) is where a lot of the Marines live off-base. The area has gotten a lot more pricey because people from DC figured out they could commute and get a cheaper house, but in turn drove up the prices there! I think with this housing slump though, it has come down to a more realistic level. What I do miss is all the shopping! You have everything right there. Hope you like it!

lkoenig07 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:19am
post #11 of 19

Thanks jenbakescakes. Were you ever licensed there? Do you know if its hard to get a license or no?

lkoenig07 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:20am
post #12 of 19

Thanks jenbakescakes. Were you ever licensed there? Do you know if its hard to get a license or no?

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 19

I actually didn't do cakes when I lived there. Wish I did though! A lot of people with more disposable income than down here in the sticks where people are used to Walmart prices! Also, there is a great cake supply shop on Rt.3 in Fredericksburg called Simply Sweet. I used to work right by there and never went in because I didn't do cakes, now I go there everytime I visit friends in the area and stock up! I'm not sure about local laws in Stafford, but I'm pretty sure it's ok to do cakes out of your home in the county of Spotsylvania, they just want their money! I heard that they want $100 or more for a zoning certificate. That's one thing I like about being in the country, my zoning certificate was $10. lol! If it were me, I would call the counties around Quantico and just ask questions. Is it legal to have a home-based business? Is it legal to have a home-based bakery? What are the hoops I have to jump through? How much is it going to cost me to be legal? Etc. Then see where that leaves you. Hopefully it leaves you in a county that is easy to deal with and that has some nice affordable housing options! As far as the state, at least around me, they are super easy to please. The guy that did my inspection was super nice and even gave me some good ideas on how to grow my business! The pain with them is just doing all the paperwork. They want to know exact recipes and flow sheets for every cake, icing, and filling you make. It's understandable that they want all that, it just takes awhile to get it together, especially if you don't have anything on your computer already! Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

lkoenig07 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 19

Wow, thanks so much for your help!!!!

TheCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeStudio Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #15 of 19

I just got my packet and I live in Glen Allen, Virginia. Yes very confusing and don't know where to begin. I bake in my kitchen and my husband has made a spare bedroom my cake room. So I take them in there where I do all my decorating away from traffic and noise. "My lil cake world". Looking to get a store front but for the time being this will have to do. I have to get the zoning permit which I will find out Monday what I have to do about that. Then on to the permit. Wish me luck and if anyone lives in the Richmond area and has gone through this please let me know what to get ready for. Thanks a bunch thumbs_up.gif

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:36am
post #16 of 19

I am in Fredericksburg (not the city, but mailing address is Fredericksburg)... depends on the county, but Stafford and Spotsylvania allow for home bakeries. Zoning in Spotsy is $319, but I am not sure of Stafford. Registering your name is $110 and then an annual fee, I forget what the inspection fee is... $40 I think.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:01pm
post #17 of 19

I'm trying to get licensed as well, but having trouble getting a zoning permit. The county says I have to modify my kitchen and add special hood and exhaust system. I told them that if that is the case then I won't be persuing licensing any further. Anyone else had that type of issue?

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 19

Nope.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:41am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeStudio

I just got my packet and I live in Glen Allen, Virginia. Yes very confusing and don't know where to begin. I bake in my kitchen and my husband has made a spare bedroom my cake room. So I take them in there where I do all my decorating away from traffic and noise. "My lil cake world". Looking to get a store front but for the time being this will have to do. I have to get the zoning permit which I will find out Monday what I have to do about that. Then on to the permit. Wish me luck and if anyone lives in the Richmond area and has gone through this please let me know what to get ready for. Thanks a bunch thumbs_up.gif

You might have trouble taking them out of the kitche into another room if there's carpet on the floor in the second room, just to warn you. One of the regulations somewhere says that the floors have to be solid surface, and washable. I guess tile or laminate would be fine, though.

If Eric does your inspection he likes to check your bleach and your test strips. He's very helpful and can answer any questions you have, but I've never run into a really difficult-to-work-with inspector. They're all pretty cooperative and helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%