Cake Boards

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm by -K8memphis

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone:

I just completed my second wedding cake this past weekend. Thanks to everyone on this board for so many great tips!!! I have one question though. I put each tier on a cardboard round and used straws for support in each tier. When I stacked the cakes, I had to use a larger border around each cake to cover the board than I would have liked. I see so many cakes with really small borders and that is what I wanted to do, but then the board would not have been covered. Any suggestions?

I am going to try to post a picture, but not sure if it will work. This picture was taken with my phone, so its probably not that great.

Thanks.

9 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #2 of 10

i think most people cut their boards to fit the cake, so you can't see the board. unfortunately, an 8 inch board doesn't really fit an 8 inch cake, you have to cut it down.

HTH

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #3 of 10

If you cover your cake with fondant consier bringing the fondant down the sides of the cake and over and then tucked under the cake board.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #4 of 10

I usually cut down my boards to 1/4 inch smaller than each layer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:37am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlina25

i think most people cut their boards to fit the cake, so you can't see the board. unfortunately, an 8 inch board doesn't really fit an 8 inch cake, you have to cut it down.

HTH

Agree. I put the cake on the board, draw a line around the cake, then trim the boards to the exact size of the cake. Once in awhile they fit perfectly with no trimming necessary .... but if they don't, then cut 'em down.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 10

I use the cake board as a guide to know how much icing to apply. Since it is usually about 1/4 inch larger all around than my cake, I ice to that point. When I use my scraper to smooth, I put the bottom of it against the cake board and turn my turntable. It keeps my scraper and hand steady.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I use the cake board as a guide to know how much icing to apply. Since it is usually about 1/4 inch larger all around than my cake, I ice to that point. When I use my scraper to smooth, I put the bottom of it against the cake board and turn my turntable. It keeps my scraper and hand steady.

This is my method, too - and sometimes it actually works icon_razz.gif !

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 10

ditto jammjenks. That's certainly the way I was taught to do it in culinary school.

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!! That's what I always thought, that with the icing the cake would be the same as the board, but it didn't quite work out that way. I guess I was afraid of putting on too much frosting!! Next time I will put it on a little thicker.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 10

It's ok to re-ice that pesterful section there too. Re-ice it to get it all covered then you can put the little border there too. Assuming the board isn't sticking out too far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%