Do Most Of You Cake Makers Use Boxed Mixes Or Make Your Own?

Decorating By JSuzieQ Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 12:25pm by jammjenks

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:45am
post #1 of 5

I have noticed that some people have implied that they use boxed mixes for their cakes. Is this common or do most of you make them from scratch?
I have a hard time using boxed mixes because I think maybe people would not think they were as special if they knew they came from a box. I will say that using them is much easier than from scratch, but I feel guilty if someone is paying for the cake. I actually made 3 cakes for a friend a few weeks ago, but she was financially strapped so I did not charge her; so, I didn't feel badly for using boxed mixes for two of them.
Am I over-reacting?...

4 replies
OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:55am
post #2 of 5

Well, I use a box mix, but add other ingredients to it. It's called a WASC cake. (White Almond Sour Cream) I know that many other use this recipe too. You can find it here on CC. It's delicious...give it a try.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:59am
post #3 of 5

People think my box cakes are from scratch. I only use Duncan Hines and I freeze. Some bakers don't believe in either one of these methods. But my cakes are always moist and fresh tasting. I get the most compliments about how good they
taste. No one has ever asked me if I bake from scratch. I have had a couple of people ask me for my recipe and I just avoided the question. I guess it is just a personal preference. All the other baking I do is from scratch.

Diane

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, JSuzieQ. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

The perennial scratch vs. doctored/mix question. icon_lol.gif

Here are 4 pages of these threads:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596517-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked cake:
(Has WASC and frosting recipes and so much more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 5

Welcome to CC! I notice you haven't been on very long so I feel the need to warn you that this can be a very hot topic.

As for me-I use all three types. Some are doctored mixes, some are scratch, some are undoctored mixes. There's no need to feel guilty no matter what you choose to do. Whatever satisfies you and your customers is what you should make. And no matter what, hold that head up high and know that you are making a great product that any customer should be proud to receive. Remember, baking/decorating/selling cakes has many parts. Not only are we bakers/decorators, but we are salespeople too. Be your own best salesperson.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%