Gumpaste Help

Decorating By Jocmom Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 12:36am by BJ

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:09am
post #1 of 7

Help! icon_cry.gif

I'm making a beer bottle cake for this weekend. My friend asked that the cake itself resemble a blue sand pail/bucket. That means a thin handle. I've found that fondant doesn't hold up well when it's that thin and doesn't have more time to dry.

I asked someone how to make fondant dry harder and faster and they said to add gumpaste. They didn't elaborate, and I haven't been able to reach them to get specifics. I've never used gumpaste before. Do I just add gumpaste to fondant to make it dry faster?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

6 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:34am
post #2 of 7

Yes 50/50 gumpaste and fondant mixed. Works GREAT. Good luck!!!!!
I wanted to add that some people I think use all gumpaste, Nick Lodge's recipe for gumpaste works good. I think it's in the recipe section.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:41am
post #3 of 7

I use 50/50 Fondant and Gum Paste you could use a little more gum paste and if I want it to dry fast I use a Food Dehydrator or just put it in my oven over night with the light on I don't turn the oven on just the light I make cowboy hats for some of my cakes and the brim must be hard and thats what I do.

Molly

icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

I use 50/50 Fondant and Gum Paste you could use a little more gum paste and if I want it to dry fast I use a Food Dehydrator or just put it in my oven over night with the light on I don't turn the oven on just the light I make cowboy hats for some of my cakes and the brim must be hard and thats what I do.

Molly

icon_smile.gif

OH MAN! If only I had known this in August. My cowboy hat cake flopped because i made pastiallge and let it dry for almost two weeks before I scrapped it, because it was still WET and made one from foam board. Thanks for the tip. icon_biggrin.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 7

We all live and learn someway, That's why I love CC I like to be able to help someone like those help me to AVOID the flops ahead of time. Glad I came across this site!!!! thumbs_up.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 7

debster,
i love it too! It is heaven sent.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

I love using gumpaste. It dries rock hard. The nice thing is that Wilton puts out a pre-made gumpaste. I use it all the time. You can get it at any store that carries Wilton supplies. If I need to make something that needs to be strong - I use 100% gumpaste. If you have a clay gun (which can also be bought at a craft store) - I'd load it with the gumpaste and use the circle template - it will push out a solid circle shape that you could use as the handle. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%