Need Idea For Grandmother's Bday Cake

Decorating By mamafrogcakes Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 9:39pm by mommymarilyn

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:04am
post #1 of 16

I am a newbie decorator and haven't taken any class (or taught myself) how to make flowers of any sort. My grandmothers 86th birthday is coming up and I would like to do something really pretty for her. I don't think she would like fondant so it would have to be BC. I would like to do a basketweave with flowers, but I know that won't turn out great. Does anyone have any ideas??? I thought about a FBCT but I just can't find the right picture. She really loves flowers. I would appreciate any help! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:12am
post #2 of 16

Mamafrogcakes,

I see your in the Dallas area. Otherwise, if you were close, I was going to say I could help you out with roses. From the looks of your beautiful cakes, it wouldn't take but a minute for you to pick it up. I think you could definitely handle a basketweave. As far as flower pictures, try:

http://coloringbookfun.com/flower/

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:22am
post #3 of 16

Or pick up a little bouquet of live flowers and make a basket weave cake and arrange the flowers on top?

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:27am
post #4 of 16

I like gdixon's page with flowers. Any of those would like good as a BCT. Here is a cake I did for one of my first cakes and I used drop flowers. Not hard at all. Maybe you could do something like this with the basketweave.
LL

bigboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigboots Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:37am
post #5 of 16

I did a fbct of a rose for my mom
it's in my pictures.It was the first time
i did a fbct.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:45am
post #6 of 16

sls0812,

That is a gorgeous cake!

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you!
I was rather shocked (and happy) with the way it came out. I haven't taken any classes yet and it was only like my 3rd or 4th cake. Good enough for my family.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 16

mamafrogcakes- I looked at the photos of your cakes and they are awesome. (especially Gary...meow!) Anything you do will be a wonderful gift for your grandmother. You are very talented, especially for picking this up on your own.

signed: a not-so talented newbie but learning icon_wink.gif

mamafrogcakes Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 16

Oh you guys are too sweet!! The problem, and most of you feel the same way, is that we are our own worst critic. I could make a pile of cake, slap some icing on it and most of my friends and family would be happy! thumbs_up.gif They don't care if the tops not smooth or anything else that I worry about.
I love your ideas though! I will either go with the FBCT or buying the bouquet of flowers for the top.
Thanks so much for your kinds words and help!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 16

You know about the VIVA paper towel method for BC don't you? Just do that and you will have perfect smooth icing.. If your not to sure about making your own roses.. Just do a shell border adding dots in between each shell to give color (color of rose) to the border and add a BCT rose color of your choice right in the middle. Get some fondant dyeing it the color of the BCT rose and roll it out and cut out some rose petals place around the cake.. and go with saying something like:
" A beautiful rose, for a beautiful woman. "
" Happy Birthday Grandma ".. you could even get some rose print paper and use it on your cake board. Good Luck

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 16

How about something like the below pic. I think it would be easy but still impressive. Just looks like basketweave box, cardboard lid covered in basketweave, proped open with toothpicks, and live flowers.
LL

NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 16

Hey I just checked to see if the pic uploaded and this time it hit me!!!!
Does your grandmother sew? That could be turned into a sewing box sooo easy, and fill with thread and the sort.
Just another idea. thumbs_up.gif

mamafrogcakes Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 16

That's a beautiful picture and she use to sew ALOT in her younger days! That's a great idea!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 16

glad I could help I can't wait to see your pics!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:19am
post #15 of 16

So many great ideas! I can't wait to see your cake! icon_smile.gif

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 16

That's a great idea to turn it into a sewing box! icon_lol.gif Boy, we have some creative people here, don't we?!?! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%