I Did It Myself

Baking By deetmar Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm by bakinccc

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 8

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday, bought two of their large 99 cent cookie cutters, and molded it into the oval I had been looking for. It was very easy to do.

While I was there, I also saw that they had sheets of aluminum and copper that were very reasonable, about $9. I didn't get the chance to see if they were food safe, because my husband was with me. You know men, in and out as soon as possible.

I am going to see if they will work to make cookie cutters. Thanks for all of your help.

7 replies
Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 8

Awesome! I have molded a large heart cookie cutter into an icecream cone. I was so proud of myself (so I know how you feel icon_smile.gif ). We don't have a Hobby Lobby around here - probably a good thing because I just entered my receipts into my check book - lots of Michaels and A.C. Moore expenses! They don't sell sheets of aluminum and copper at either of these stores. Were they expensive? The copper one probably was. Good luck with making your cutters.

Susan

P.S. NEVER bring your husband with you into a craft store. It's like they have an allergic reaction as soon as they enter! icon_biggrin.gif (unless of course they are an artist)

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 8

I too just bought some large simple heart cutters to disassemble and mold into something else. I have a small baking supply/party store in my area that I love and they have a large stock of inexpensive cutters(.50-1.00) so I am psyched. I would love to not have to freehand so much.

Susan-I feel your pain every month when I go thru my receipts! icon_eek.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 8

I don't know for sure how much they were because my husband was with me. That means I don't get to look. But I will go sometime on Monday and let you guys know.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 8

I'm pretty lucky. When I've had to go to Michael's and had my husband with, he was incredibly patient! I've gone into car parts stores with him, so it cuts both ways.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 8

I ditto that GeminiRJ. My dh is a people watcher so it works great. But I'm lucky since most of our craft stores have a Home Depot or Lowes in the same parking lot. We each go our own way.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 8

I'm right there with you ladies...my husband makes me feel rushed and I'm not able to savor that craft store experience quite like I want! icon_rolleyes.gif

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 8

deetmar - I'm so proud of you for doing your own cutters with the big HL ones!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!! I was hoping someone else would try my idea and see how easily it can be done!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%