Chocolate Molds Save Time!

Business By littlecake Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm by emnjakesmom

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:00am
post #1 of 25

i bought a whole bunch of chocolate molds a few weeks ago....

there are so many cool ones, ones that look like a blackberry...video game controller...i pod...credit cards...cute purses, life sized baby bottles cowboy boots...well the list goes on and on...

i've been coloring white almond bark and filling them....the customers love them on their cakes....and it saves so much time and stress not having to draw all these things on....plus it adds dimension to the cakes.

after i get used to using them. i'll have to learn how to temper chocolate so it can taste yummy too.

anyhoo...just wanted to share, i love saving time

24 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 25

Littlecake---Glad you're having fun with the chocolate molds. I agree. It is fun!

We took cake decorating classes and then moved into chocolates. We've kind of incorporated our business into cakes, chocolates, cookies, and other sweet treats, as a result of it. However, we've been learning more and more how to include them with each other, as well.

Painting the molds before you pour also adds a lot of enhancement to the chocolates. Try it! You'll be addicted to it like we are!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 25

I love chocolate molds too! You are RIGHT they save TONS of time and energy for me, because, well, I'm not THAT talented! LOL I wish I was....but hey....we can't ALL be Maria Sousas now can we?

Between my friend and I we can probably chocolate mold almost anything! It is too much fun!

Glad someone else enjoys them as much as I do!

Beth in KY

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 25

I just used one for the first time today and absolutely loved it. I couldn't find the star that I wanted. My daughter loves them and they do add dimension to the cake.

I may use them more.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:23am
post #5 of 25

They're not only good for cakes, cookies and cupcakes but they're fun for kids. Both of mine love to make candy that they get to eat, even really little kids can help put sucker sticks in. My oldest is almost 10 and I taught him to melt the bark almost two years ago, I even sometimes make him do plain candies I need for a project if it's for us.

Suckers in designs to match a birthday theme also end up in our favor bags whenever possible.

The last few weeks I've been making hard candy for the first time and my kids are really impressed with me now.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 25

icon_smile.gif littlecake, you are going to love using chocolate molds! I have done candy for over 20 years.....a long time before I ever thought about cakes. I use a lot of candies in my cakes.....people love them! There are so many different ideas and molds out there...really something different to add to your creations. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 25

i've "painted" the inside of the molds with a little bit of colored chocolate and a paint brush...there seems like there ought to be a way to keep the "palette" warm...like a heating pad or something, any ideas?

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 25

Hi Littlecakes: I too love to make candies out of molds. In fact, I love to brush them with the dusts (petal, pearl etc) to really enhance the designs. The best part? Melt, freeze quickly, bump out of mold and your done! How great is that?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i've "painted" the inside of the molds with a little bit of colored chocolate and a paint brush...there seems like there ought to be a way to keep the "palette" warm...like a heating pad or something, any ideas?

Actually you can do just that. A heating pad on low will do the trick.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 25

What we did for melting colored chocolates is to set up a water-bath in an electric skillet. Then we put white chocolate and colorant into baby food jars. One of my colleagues had just switched her baby to that type of food, so we got LOTS of jars! As we need various colors, we mix up a baby jar (or half) of particular colors and paint away!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 25

The water bath sounds neat. Can't wait to try! I especially love the plaques-for those busy cakes with no leftover space to write the message!

cakelady77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady77 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 25

Good ideas! Thanks for the tips!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 25

I love chocolate molds too! I have dozens of them! I store them by category, divided with manila folders, in large plastic drawer units. I have 5 of them full!

I also have a shallow drawer unit filled with different colored candy. All leftovers get reused.

An electric skillet is great for keeping the chocolate warm. The newer ones can be set so low, even filled parchment cones can be placed directly on the surface.

You can also use fondant and gumpaste in your molds. For best results, dust with cornstarch, then pop the item in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Should pop - or peel - right out, depending on the shape.

You can even mold sugar in the chocolate molds. Just be aware that the sugar may scratch the mold and any flaw in the mold will be transferred to your chocolates.

If the details are too difficult to paint inside the mold before filling, get yourself some cocoa butter. Mix powdered colors with melted cocoa butter and you can paint on any chocolate surface! Make sure you use food grade cocoa butter, not Coppertone! icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

littlecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #14 of 25

do you guys have any good websites about painting chocolate and anything else that would be good to help me learn?

i learned one thing the hard way today....put a skewer in the piece while you're pouring it if you want to use it as a cake topper....DUH.

i'm so excited about adding this to my stuff....thank you so much for your replies...also do you have any favorite mold sites?

the ones i bought were so affordable like 2 bucks eack, the best $$$ i spent in awhile!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #15 of 25

This is exactly why I love the CC!!!!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #16 of 25

there is a website that has great molds called www.striechs.com
Jen...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #17 of 25

candylandcrafts.com has got oodles of them!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

They're not only good for cakes, cookies and cupcakes but they're fun for kids. Both of mine love to make candy that they get to eat, even really little kids can help put sucker sticks in. My oldest is almost 10 and I taught him to melt the bark almost two years ago, I even sometimes make him do plain candies I need for a project if it's for us.

Suckers in designs to match a birthday theme also end up in our favor bags whenever possible.

The last few weeks I've been making hard candy for the first time and my kids are really impressed with me now.

Not to hijack, but can you describe how you make hard candy in them??? I thought that the sugar would be too hot and would melt the plastic.
TIA

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Not to hijack, but can you describe how you make hard candy in them??? I thought that the sugar would be too hot and would melt the plastic.
TIA

You are right that you can't use the regular chocolate molds for hard candy. You buy special hard candy molds, they're made of a plastic that won't melt from the hot sugar, they're normally white instead of clear. You can use hard candy molds for chocolate too, I know I have a couple from way before I even thought of trying out hard candy.

I haven't found the selection of hard candy that they have for chocolate. Alot of the sucker hard candy molds have the space for pencil pops.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #21 of 25

I make lots of chocolate and I was taught to use an electric pancake griddle. You lay a hand towel over the top and keep it on low. It keeps your chocolate, pallets and whatever else warm. I love it because you can leave your stuff out until you are done. You can leave it on all day while you take a break or whatever.

mbelgard Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #22 of 25

In case anyone doesn't know Wilton is making special Halloween candy melts, lime green and black. My sister found them at Michael's and they're both vanilla flavored.

Since I live 180 miles from the nearest Michael's she sent me some. party.gif

I'm thinking the black will be really nice since you need so much coloring to acheive it.

littlecake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #23 of 25

heres where i got em...they are mostly under 2 bucks!
https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:21pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

do you guys have any good websites about painting chocolate and anything else that would be good to help me learn?

i learned one thing the hard way today....put a skewer in the piece while you're pouring it if you want to use it as a cake topper....DUH.

i'm so excited about adding this to my stuff....thank you so much for your replies...also do you have any favorite mold sites?

the ones i bought were so affordable like 2 bucks eack, the best $$$ i spent in awhile!

I like www.customchocolateshop.com. very affordable and a very LARGE selection.

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm
post #25 of 25

If you do use a water bath to keep your chocolate warm, be really careful not to get ANY water (not even a drop!) in your chocolate, or it will seize and get grainy. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%