I Feel Like This Cake Is Missing Something ?

Decorating By shalderman Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 12:05pm by cylstrial

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 19

Its been a frustrating morning in the kitchen. I had made the sugar shack icing yesterday and it was completely air bubble less! I was in awe... (thanks Sharon!! icon_wink.gif ) But then I had to take some out to keep white and make the rest grey and even though I mixed it very very slow it was riddled with air bubbles. Not sure what I did wrong there...

But anyway I hate icing square/rectangle cakes...I'm terrible with corners my icing was not cooperating and the bubbles didn't help. I'm not really happy with it but it got to the point where my trying to fix it was making it worse not better! icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif Oh well... So here's the cake and my question - is it missing something???

The skulls were not yet completely hardened so I just threw 2 on for the pic but there will be one on each corner. I feel like its too naked and frankly I wouldn't mind doing something around my top border to hide it a bit but I'm scared to do anything cause black icing coming off the grey will be a nightmare! What do you guys think?

<BR><BR>

18 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 19

Honestly I think I would prefer the skulls laying on top of the cake, one at each corner. They look out of place there and I think it would help fill the top in. Awesome job, by the way!

livvah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livvah Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 19

this is an awesome cake! you did an fantastic job with the "logo" -- the font matches perfectly. icon_smile.gif any harley fan would be in hog heaven. (pun totally intended.) only thing i can think of is that it feels like it's missing a border. maybe pipe in some flames (angling in towards the logo) or something? maybe use the flat side of the basketweave tip and do tire tracks (denting crosshatches in w/ a toothpick once it's crusted)?? i can't think of any other appropriate type borders, but if you were to add anything, i'd say add that. otherwise, the cake is great! icon_smile.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 19

I think the cake looks great already, but if you want to add more to it, I like the idea of putting the skulls on the top of the cake instead of the corners. I think you could also add some orange flames all around the sides of the cake coming up out of the bottom border. On the other hand, if you want to make it really easy on yourself, I think just adding an orange top border would do the trick too.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 19

Good job, but it is definately missing something! How about 'framing' the top of the cake with the black and orange icing, just as you have done as a bottom border.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 19

Oh yeah, flames on the top would look awesome!!! Great job by the way...

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 19

I agree with chutpah, I would repeat the bottom border around the top of the cake. I think putting the skulls on top of the cake might take away from the actual logo..........JMHO Great cake-love the colors and how the logo pops off the cake!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 19

I don't know how you could do this, but some random tire tracks crossing the cake might add that extra something you are looking for. This cake doesn't have tire tracks but rather paw prints to add a little something extra to a top without a top border. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=211293

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 19

The cake is great. I agree with the border along the top and then keep the skulls where you were orginally going to place them. Maybe some flames from the bottom border up the sides but I don't know that you're going to need them and it might be a little too much.

Cute cake Narie.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 19

Bettina- Not my cake, Christeena made it. I just thought it was darling and the paw prints caught the idea of what I was thinking.

bettinashoe Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #11 of 19

Funny, Nari. If you had made it, it would have been great!

I've got to do a Harley cake, myself, in a few weeks. I'm not looking forward to it. I don't want it to be too busy and might just use your idea, shalderman.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 19

logo looks great!

It does need something though. I would put at least a border around the top edge (Mabye some orange/black confetti sprinkles or something..it would be easy to find this time of year). Or flames around the edges.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 19

Thank you all for your ideas!!! Unfortunately something came up and I ended up with NO time to do anything else to it! But my uncle absolutely loved it as is so my mission was accomplished!

I had had that same thought about repeating the bottom border around the top. If I would have thought about it (and asked ya'll LAST weekennd LOL) I would have made up some RI flames for the corners on top of the cake. But no time for that obviously as they would have to dry. I didn't trust myself to do piped BC flames as that would have likely ended in catastrophe! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Thank you all for the compliments and bettinashoe feel free to use any part of it you'd like! I had fun making it even if making the top logo killed my hand piping all the borders for the RI to fill in icon_smile.gif

FYI I also used two different cake flavors for the 2 layers...chocolate which I tinted black and white which I tinted orange so even the cake inside was themed in colors icon_smile.gif I have to post pics of this yet.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 19

What about some flames around the cake edge?

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #15 of 19

I think it looks great! I think I would frame the top of the cake with black and orange as chutzpah said, or do the flames. Maybe both? Anyway...it's a great job! princess.gif

bettinashoe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:46am
post #16 of 19

Does anyone have a good method for doing flames? When I do this cake I will probably want to do them out of fondant but I still want them to look realistic.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 19

I would either use a cookie cutter (which might be hard to find or make) or I would free-hand cut out flames, then each will be unique. princess.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 19

You can use half orange and half yellow buttercream in a leaf tip and it looks pretty neat as fire.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:05pm
post #19 of 19

It turned out reall nice! Glad that your uncle liked it! And I think it's really cool that you tinted the white cake inside, orange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%