Help!!! Damn Last Minute People!

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm by kakeladi

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, to start off with â Iâm from a very small town, word spreads fast and I work very hard to keep my name good with people. Hereâs the issue. 2 months ago a lady asked me about a cake for her childâs baptism â for about 200 people in October â huge Italian family! I said sure, Iâm available, but she asked if I could make a sample cake to taste as she wasnât really sure what kind of cake she wanted. So, I made a 6â cake with cannoli filling and also delivered the cake to her house (in the rain I might add) about 15 minutes out of town. Well I never heard anything back from her. I figured she didnât like my cake, etc.

So, my boyfriendâs birthday is Oct 10th, so I booked a weekend in Salem, Mass. Well doesnât she leave me a voicemail today saying âHi, this is ___, Iâm calling about my baptism cake on the 12thâ WHAT?? Are you kidding me?? Now what?? If I donât do the cake, Iâll be the bad guy and bad news travels fast here. Could I do the cake Thursday, finish decorating Friday and have her pick it up on Sunday?? My sister can be at the shop to deliver the cake.

What do you think?

9 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 10

Did you have a contract with this woman? Did she give you a deposit? I know the answer to these questions as the woman never called you back after her tasting. So she has waited till the last minute you already have plans if you have time to make it and your sister can help you out fine just have her pay in full up front.
If you can't make the cake don't feel like the bad guy as she had ample time to get bck to you and didn't.
Good luck

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 10

Sari66, no contract or deposit - more because she used to be my landlord before I had my house, so I didn't see a real issue with it. I'm more worried about her mouth than anything, even though it's not my fault. It's not like I wanted to stalk her saying "did you like my cake???"

Would it be bad to have it done Friday for a cake due Sunday? I mean, I've had left over cake and it's been fine.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 10

I wouldn't do it.

I'm dealing with a last minute person right now and they really chap my hide. people cant just "forget" to contact you, etc. u bringing a sample is not a confirmation that you are doing anything for them.. also WE have to stop worrying about what people will say bad about us for their mistakes..

as my grandma used to say all money aint good money

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 10

This quote seems like it fits in this situation.

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergancy on my part"

I just had someone email me last night to do a cake next week and I had to decline because I already have plans, I just told her I was booked- You can call her and let her know that you are booked for that weekend and that you book cakes once the deposit is received.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 10

I see no reason why you should put yourself out to help her. If you want to be the "saint" then do the cake on thur/fri and if your sister doesn't mind being available for pick up then that's a good option. But don't offer delivery and don't start the cake without money in hand.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 10

Yes you can definitely make the cake Friday and have her pick it up Sunday, it will be fine. Good luck!

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 10

I have to say I am with SweetResults/Laura on this one. I say do it! I think the cake will be fine for Friday, just finish the details on Friday late. I would also do a layer of BC before the cannoli filling in case it gets too wet, sitting for the two days. I think it will be more than fine.

Do you HAVE to do it? No way. BUt look at the amount of people that you could have for future orders at that party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give up the advertising, unless you are way too busy to take on a lot more clients in the future icon_lol.gif By then you should expand anyway!

Also, I lived in the town right next to Salem all my life!!!! As a matter of fact, I still live in Mass, but moved about an hour west. I love Salem's haunted happenings. We stayed in the Hawthorne Hotel for our honeymoon! Hated that place. I felt like I was being watched!!!! And on your honeymoon - get the picture - LOL. Anyway - Enjoy!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 10

I would call her back and explain that you did not hear back from her regarding placing an order for the cake, but could fit her into your schedule if you could deliver the cake friday, or arrange your sister for Saturday.

Make sure she knows that next time she might not be so lucky and to order xx weeks in advance. I would also look into getting people to place a deposit. If people but their money down they are serious and you both have clarity of 'the order is placed'. While I think that she should have contacted you after dropping off a tasting cake - perhaps you were not clear enough with instructions on how to proceed with you to 'place' the order. Its harder with people you know because they assume so much more - they are often not shopping around, and think that by mentioning it to you its a done deal. Be clear on how you conduct business.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 10

Talk runs thru town fast? If you can at all fit it in do it!!!
Be sure you explain to customer what time & when it can be picked up; don't want sis having to sit waiting for a late p/u.
There is NO problem w/making it Fri for Sun party. Most wedding cakes are made on Wed for Sat aren't they? Why is this any different?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%