Help! Horizontal Stripes On Round Cake???!!

Decorating By heycupcake Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm by heycupcake

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 7

any ideas on how to do this and make it look really good? is there a tool out there that will keep the stripes evenly spaced?
I have to do 3 stripes on each of the 3 cakes using black (yes black) bc!

any help would be sooooooo appreciated.

Thanks guys!

6 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 7

I could SWEAR tapedshut.gif that I found a tool somewhere that you could adjust the height on it and it would mark the side the cake for horizontal lines, but I haven't been able to find it. icon_cry.gif I would be very interested in knowing what is out there. thumbs_up.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 7

What about using a peice of paper and marking the cake with the straight edge by kind of wrapping the cake with it and then using that line to add your stripes. Good luck

seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 7

If you want to mark the sides, there is a hemming tool that has an adjustable "point" that you can slide to the mesurement/height you need. One the one I have, the marking point is sharp, so it will put a groove into your icing. Set one end of the tool on your bake board, adjust your height to what you want, and slide it around your cake.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 7

I don't know of a tool, but I will tell you what I do.

I measure how wide I want my stripes on a strip of wax paper (you know, kinda like we did when we were kids and making scales out of index cards for measuring maps) I mark the wax paper with the proper line spacing all the way around. I carefully wrap the strip around each tier and LIGHTLY place a mark where the stripe should go.

Tada! Evenly spaced marks. Place your vertical line directly on top of the mark (just make sure that you pipe them the same width, if that is the look that you want)

HTH,
Mandi icon_biggrin.gif

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 7

maybe this is what donna has already said. But what if you ice the cake in white buttercream. Allow it to crust then put strips of paper or maybe painters tape around the cake making white stripes. Then ice the white areas in black. Then Remove the tape. black white black white. or whatever order. Thats how you paint stripes on a wall straight. maybe you could do that on cake as well???

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

You just saved me from a mini nervous breakdown icon_wink.gif

thank you! thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%