How To Handle Complaints

Business By Bethkay Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 12:07am by loriemoms

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #31 of 35

Some customers are not right. There are people out there you can't please no matter what. However, if someone complained to me that their cake was dry, even if I thought it was fine, I would give them some sort of resolution so that they leave satisfied. I guess that's just the way I am. In your case, though, if you told her to let it sit out and she didn't, then no, I wouldn't compensate for it. I guess you have to treat each case individually. All I'm saying is don't be so quick to write them off as PITAs. I'm sure there are scammers out there, but I still think most people are honest.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:13pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsburyArt

And to Ziggytarheel- do you know how subjective "what I ordered isn't what I received" sounds? That argument can be made for every cake from every baker ever made infinity. (i.e. That shell border is too big, I thought it's be smaller, it's not what I ordered I want my money back)

Yes, this is SO true. Also, some people really cannot be happy no matter what, and suffer from buyers remorse.
Luckily, this doesn't come up too often for me, really only once in a year and a half, but something I have learned is the whole a soft answer turns away wrath thing. I always like to be right, but have to remind myself that I can't be that way when dealing with picky customers. If you respond like you truly care about their experience and want to make them feel better, it will go a long way. Unfortunately the one time this happened I was too busy being offended by the situation (the woman totally ripped me a new one and made me feel like the worst cake decorator EVER), but I learned so much from it.
Even if there was nothing wrong with the cake, go ahead and offer her a small discount with her next order-10 to 15%. Also issue a polite apology about her not liking the cake, along with an explanation of why scratch cakes taste different from mixes. Spin it to look like you are making her the best cake from the best ingredients, and hopefully she will calm down.

Good luck!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #33 of 35

[quote="AsburyArt"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And to Ziggytarheel- do you know how subjective "what I ordered isn't what I received" sounds? That argument can be made for every cake from every baker ever made infinity. (i.e. That shell border is too big, I thought it's be smaller, it's not what I ordered I want my money back)

Well, please know that I only meant that in a generic sense, from the baker's perspective. If the customer ordered a 3 tiered cake and they got a 2 tiered cake, or if they ordered chocolate and got vanilla. Or they ordered cupcakes and got sheet cake.

I simply meant that if you are satisfied you provided them what they ordered, in a quality manner...that was my point. Can you in your best judgment say you provided what they requested? That's all.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #34 of 35

I think most everything has been covered in this post....so I just wanted to add, I use only scratch Vanilla Butter Cake as my standard recipe and it's almost as good cold as it is room temp. It's really delicious either way, but when it's room temp the flavors are more pronounced. I tell my customers to serve at room temp for the best flavor.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #35 of 35

I agree with the cold cake syndrone! I even have on my box labels "Do not Refridgerate". I have so many people who pick up cakes and stick them in the fridge till party time...and all those beautiful gum paste decos wilt faster then a man who's wife has caught him with his mistress!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%