Tappits....anyone Use Them?

Decorating By yummymummy Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm by mbt4955

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:48am
post #1 of 41

I noticed Global Sugar Art has them on sale and was considering buying them. What's the verdict? Are they good/worth it? How does one use them? If you have more than one letter style, which font do you find you use most often? Sorry for all the questions! Just want to make a good purchase. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

40 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 41

Yep - I have all the fonts and just love these (in my gallery almost all cakes with lettering I used tappits for). Hated tappits when I first used these - but once you have the hang of it they are super easy to use.

Roll out your GP (or fondant) super thin. Let air dry for a minute; turn over the paste and let air dry for another minute. Use the tappit to cut out the letter(s) and let sit in the tappit for another minute. Then go and tap it lightly on the counter - the letters fall right out (occasionally the letter may need a little coaxing - just push very lightly with a toothpick).

yummymummy Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 41

OH thanks!! They look really fun...and I'm so sick of trying to get my writing perfect..I'm too shakey! Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 41

Thanks for the tip snowshoe, I bought as set of tappits and could not for the life of me get the fondant out...they've been sitting in the drawer for six months. I'm going to try your method and hopefully this time they'll work for me. I really love the lettering and want to use them so badly.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 41

I love the tappits. I use them whenever possible (in my pix under Edie's shoe cake is a great example!) Roll the fondant or gumpaste very thin and let dry a bit, then use the heel of your hand to push the tappit into the fondant and jiggle around. You just hold onto one end and tap the other end and they come out. (Hope that made sense!) icon_biggrin.gif If they get stuck use a straight pin. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 41

Thanks for the drying tip, snowshoe! I hate trying to get it out with a toothpick when it won't all tap out.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 41

Thanks for the tip,snowshoe and thanks for posting the question,yummy.

yummymummy Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 41

No problem! glad everyone got some good info! icon_wink.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #9 of 41

I love tappits becuz my writing is horrible. I dont have the wonky letters tappits. Thats next on my never ending wishlist

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #10 of 41

Does this method also work for the funky letter tappits??

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 41

If you will do a seach for Aine2 there is a forum subject on these cutters, one of the posters gives a youtube address for a tutorial done by Aine2. She does a wonderful job (as usual) explaining how to use these tappits!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #12 of 41

Also if you have the FMM DVD called Decorative Cake Art with Pat Trunkfield, she has a section in there on using tappits.

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 41

I love love love all my tappits!! I couldn't live without them. Besides my pasta machine they are the #1 cake tool for me.

Depending on the tappit set, I roll my fondant to a 3 or 4 on the pasta machine, let it sit and air dry a bit, use the tappit to cut and then "tap" out the letters. If they are stuck a little, I use and Xacto to coax them out.

I really think you will love them. My favorite set is the JEM Alphabet set (18901). I also really like the funky tappits but they are big. I wish they had a smaller set in that style.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:13am
post #14 of 41

Okay, this is an old topic....but where can I get these. I saw a youtube video by Edna and she used them. I looked online and something like them on sugar craft. Can anyone tell me where to get them?

PLEASE!!!

Katie

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #15 of 41

I just bought the funky tappits, upper and lower case, from a seller in Great Britain through ebay. They were reasonably priced and shipping was also very reasonable so you may want to check that out. Now I'm just waiting for them!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #16 of 41

how cool....

I'm looking do you happen to know the sellers name?

thanks

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #17 of 41

I have the script-upper and lower case and the funky alphabet-upper and lower case.

I just roll out gumpaste then take a cornstarch puff and put cornstarch on the letter before I press it out.

I think they're worth the money.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #18 of 41

I love the funky ones. I use the same way Edna does it in her tutorial. I think the funky ones are great if you make a lof of whimsical cake.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #19 of 41

Also helps alot to dust the paste and the tappit well with corn starch - then they letter come out of the mold easier.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

how cool....

I'm looking do you happen to know the sellers name?

thanks

Confectioners Paradise - you have to search for tappits and then go into their ebay store. Putting in funky tappits doesn't give any results for some reason.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

Okay, this is an old topic....but where can I get these. I saw a youtube video by Edna and she used them. I looked online and something like them on . Can anyone tell me where to get them?

PLEASE!!!

Katie

Here is the link to the tappits..

Edna icon_smile.gif

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #22 of 41

I had never heard of these before, but just checked them out on Global Sugar Arts site and now want to buy and try them out.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #23 of 41

The ones I saw being used looked like they were on a ruler type thing.

Soo many choices!!!!

icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #24 of 41

I have them and love love love them. Upper and lower case script and the funky letters....I just got the lower case funky letters. Did I say I LOVED them.

Helps to let your gumpaste or fondant roll out and dry just a bit and sometimes I spray pam on my surface so that it sticks to the surface not the tappit.

I think I love them because I have terrible piping and to scroll out a ugly name just ruins the cake....beautiful letters just add to it!!
Laura

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #25 of 41

the set I really want is out of stock at Global Sugar Art.
I saw the tappits in a magazine and wanted them a.s.a.p.

dying to try these because I have horrible hand writing and this looks easy enough.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:30am
post #26 of 41

I found them on ebay and they have script- upper & lower case
Funky- upper & lower case and classic- upper and lower case!

melodyscakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #27 of 41

I found another site that has the set that I wanted and went ahead and ordered them from that company. did I mention that I am a very impatient person?

anyway, can't wait to try them!!

melody

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #28 of 41

melody-Can I ask what set?

melodyscakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #29 of 41

the decorative set, it's got different designs on it. I thought a couple of the designs would be really pretty on a wedding cake.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #30 of 41

Would you mind sharing the site with me?

I bought the funky and script set on ebay.

Id like to have them all to practice.

Thanks!
Katie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%