Getting Started

Decorating By sweetkisscakes Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:01am by shellzey

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone I am 18 years old and I am trying to get into the wonderful world of cake decorating. I am mostly self taught although I have done the first two wilton classes. I'm wondering what suggestions you all have on how to get my foot in the door and where to go to learn more. I am currently working as a cake decorator at walmart but I am finding it boring and not very challenging. icon_smile.gif Any tips are appreciated and I would love to know how everyone got started.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #2 of 4

locate a high-end cake decorator in your area and inquire about an internship... this will especially be helpful if you plan on attending culinary school as some (like the CIA, for instance) require experience as part of the application. But it's also a great way to learn a lot of things you won't get in a class or supermarket bakery.

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 4

i would visit some of your local bakeries and talk with them. see if they have any openings and are willing to train. i don't know anything about schools. i wish you all the best =)

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:01am
post #4 of 4

maybe there is someone on CC that is in your area who needs a good hard worker? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%