Cute As A Bug Baby Shower

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 2:46pm by ladyonzlake

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 17

need pictures of any cute bug cakes you may have made/seen, lady bugs, dragon flys...that is her bedding. thanks.

16 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 17

If you go to the galleries, and do a search for baby and bug, you come up with some really cute cakes.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 17
AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 17

How about something like this? icon_razz.gif

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1214561

CandyLady Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 17

great ideas! thanks so much.

CandyLady Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 17

yourstruly: your first cake is her bedding exactly....how big of a cake did you make and how many did it feed...I would love to use your idea if ok with you? Is it buttercream with fondant decorations?

CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 17

I would be honored if you used my idea!
I started with a 10" and an 8" and carved the sides down.
She needed 25 servings but she had a leftovers.
It is butter cream with mmf accents, the flowers, bugs and bows were gumpaste though.
If you need any help just ask, it was a pretty simple cake, a little time consuming making the dragonflys but easy just the same.
Good luck and post pics when you are done.

CandyLady Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 17

thanks much! the shower will probably have at least 65 people...yikes. I have never used gumpaste...is it edible? I will keep in touch. love it. Pat

CandyLady Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 17

yourstruly: I am going to give you my e-mail as [email protected]. I need you to tell me how you made the little fans and what is that on top of the cake next to the ladybug...flower thingamajig. thanks. I am gonna attempt it.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 17

yourstrulytx your cakes are Beautiful! I might use your idea in the future too..hope that is ok also!...

Cheers,
ally

CandyLady Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 17
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 17

Here is a bug cake I did about 3 weeks ago..All the butterflies,bugs etc are fondant except the dragonflies which I ordered from Caljava.
LL

CandyLady Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 17

how pretty...thanks for sharing.

CakeMommyTX Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 17

CandyLady- I used crisco on my hands when I rolled the rope out, thats why it's shiny.
The flower on top is just gumpaste, I let it dry a little and then stuck a toothpick in it at the bottom and then let it dry completly.
The fans will stand up on their own once you have "glued" them together with candymelts or royal icing, but I have the ones on the bottom leaning against the cake.
Sorry I've been hard to get ahold of,if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

CandyLady Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 17

you are a Godsend! thanks so much for your help. I am excited because you did such an outstanding job. I think I will have to enlarge your cake size as we are not up to 50 people. I appreciate it.

CakeMommyTX Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 17

Oh and another thing, if you want to fill it with something that requires a bc damn I would carve it first and then fill it.
I've learned the hard way when I carved off my butter cream damn and all my filling came spilling out, not pretty!
When you do carve it make sure to cut a small notch down one side of the cake as a marker, so when you stack the layers they all go back it the same place.Good Luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 17

I did these for a bridal shower.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%