How Do You Color Popcorn??

Lounge By igurbisz Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm by Dale

igurbisz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
igurbisz Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,
I need help with coloring popcorn. I don't want the sticky popcorn balls, I'm just trying to make my popcorn pink, red, and orange!! Anyone know how to accomplish this?

4 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe you could try putting it on a lined tray, and airbrushing it with your colors, if you don't have an airbrush, Wilton has those colors in a can spray. That might work. I would like to see a picture of it finished which ever way you find that works. Very interesting question.

icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 5

I know you can buy popcorn with colored kernels which will give you spots of color. I've not done this, but you might try coloring your popping oil. Or coloring your butter. I have a mister that I use for our popcorn. It might give it a light color. The spray sounds like it would work, too. But I'd be worried that however you applied it, the color would rub off and get everywhere.

I'd go with the colored kernels or popcorn balls.
http://www1.gooseberrypatch.com/gooseberry/products.nsf/v.weball/f934?editdocument&lid=is_f934&cartprocess=textsr

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 5

I love the idea of airburshing if you have one. If not, what about candy melts? I love doing chocolate covered pop corn. Mmmm. You can get candy melts already colored or get the white and oil based candy colors and color your own.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 5

Not hard at all....
You need:
air-popped popcorn
Butter flavored spray (like PAM)
1 package flavored gelatin (whatever color your looking for, like Cherry, etc)

Put popcorn into a very large cooking bowls and spray lightly with butter flavored oil.
Sprinkle one bowl with cherry gelatin.

Put the bowl in a 350 degree oven for five minutes. The gelatin will dissolve slightly and stick to the popcorn.
Stir to mix the colors evenly.

Now, say "Thanks Dale! You're pretty good even for a guy!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%