How Far Ahead Will You Book?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm by myslady

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 8

I am a teeny tiny business-it's just me at the moment. I got an inquiry for a wedding cake for over a year from now, and I'm not comfortable taking orders for more than a year in advance because, honestly, I have no idea what my situation will be, or what my pricing will be!

I told the bride this, and that six months from now would be better for me to give her a quote, etc, and she got really snotty and was like "Other bakeries will do this for me. I am really upset, I guess I will have to go with one of them. Thank you SO much for looking into it for me."

Ack! I didn't mean to offend her, but a year away is too far for me to forsee cake orders....did I misstep here? (Although I feel like I dodged a bullet because if she is this prissy, she is a total Bridezilla).

How far in advance will all you little guys book a date?

7 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 8

Of course you didnt misstep. You did what you feel is right for you. It is better than taking the order and later regretting it. always go with your gut feelings.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 8

I agree, Patti. If you aren't confident about taking that order, you shouldn't...and that goes with ANY order. You would've probably been kicking yourself in the butt a year from now.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 8

My policy has always been that I do not book more than a year in advance. For right now, my daughter is very active in sports and I prefer not to book more than 6 months in advance, so I can see what her schedule is before I decide what dates I'm available, but I haven't actually turned anyone down, but I would if it was more than 9-12 months off. So, no, you weren't out of line; Miss Prissy-pants was.

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 8

I agree....I booked the date for my wedding cake over a year in advance only because I was getting married on New Years Eve. The gal was ok with that and we didn't discuss pricing or anything until a few months before.

I think you dodged a bullet! A girl like that will only get worse!

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 8

I agree....I booked the date for my wedding cake over a year in advance only because I was getting married on New Years Eve. The gal was ok with that and we didn't discuss pricing or anything until a few months before.

I think you dodged a bullet! A girl like that will only get worse!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! I just started thinking, Well, maybe a year isn't that far in the future.
But for me, who knows if I will even be making cakes then. I don't want to take a deposit and have something fall through...
Thanks again!

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 8

Overall you have to do whats best for you and your business.

JMO: You probably could have had her put down a deposit for the date and discussed pricing 6 months or so before the actual date.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%