How To Make Gerbera Daisies

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 2:50am by dragonflydreams

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have instruction or an article on how to make gerbera daisies........thank you

6 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

Are you wanting to pipe them or cut them out of gumpaste or fondant?

This was my first try at making gerberas (and my first fondant covered cake). I used the large PME sunflower cutter. First, I rolled my gumpaste very thin and, holding the cutter face up in my left hand, I draped the gumpaste over it. I rubbed my small Wilton rolling pin back and forth over the cutter until the flower was completely cut out and I could easily remove the surrounding waste. Then I pressed the cutter down on my mat to create the impression. Ejecting the flower is tricky, sometimes I had to kind of pull it out of the cutter. I cut two flowers and stacked them together so that the petals were alternating. I used some homemade gumpaste glue to attach them. I cut the centers using a small circle cutter. I probably should have made them from smashed balls. Oh well...next time. icon_smile.gif Once the flowers were assembled on the cake, I rolled little pieces of tissue and tucked them between the top and bottom petals to hold them up while they dried, except that the gumpaste I bought doesn't dry!

dogluvr Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

that is very pretty....I'm looking for gumpaste ones....the centers look sort of feathery...

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 7

Thanks dragonflydreams! While the cake I used as inspiration was very simplistic in its design, I knew I would want to make more realistic gerberas one day and the first tutorial you posted, with the fuzzy centers, was exactly what I needed.

Awesome!

dogluvr Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #6 of 7

DITTO Dragonflydreams........this is what I was looking for......yours are beautiful....so feathery......

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 7

. . . my pleasure . . . icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%