Freezing Cake For Covering In Fondant Ok?

Decorating By Edee Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm by AZCakeGirl

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #1 of 6

I have a baby shower that I need to make a cake for next weekend that will be a fairly good sized cake. I would like to bake the cakes and freeze them in advance. But I need to cover with fondant and haven't ever covered a cake with it before. My question is.. is the fondant going to be okay if the cake is frozen and I ice it with it. Will the defrosting cake mess up the fondant in any way?? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

5 replies
mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #2 of 6

Don't cover a frozen cake with fondant. The moisture will give you problems. Let the cake thaw first and then cover. This goes for buttercream as well.

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 6

I have frosted a frozen cake with buttercream with no problems before, but wasn't sure about the fondant. Thanks for the warning.

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 6

I frost frozen cakes will buttercream regularly and haven't had any trouble. By the time I'm done frosting though, the cakes are thawed so I don't know about the fondant part. Good luck!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

I agrre; do not fondant a frozen cake. a mess.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 6

Ditto, don't try putting the fondant on until the cake has thawed completely. I tried this once as an experiment to see what would happen.......my cake looked great at first & then as the cake thawed underneath the fondant, it became a sticky mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%