Us Embassy Want Me To Do A Cake.....

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm by indydebi

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 9

like the one attached. I personally think it's quite an ugly design, but it's money! Now, I have to set up an appointment with this guy to discuss exactly what they want and (not being American), I have no idea what this cake is about. Is that a statue on top? Can anyone enlighten me?! Apologies for my ignorance. TIA!
LL

8 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 9

It appears to be soldiers raising a flag. yea pretty ugly, maybe try searching the fourth of july cakes or patriotic cakes and see if you can come up with some other ideas to present to them but still incorporate the statue. it's a fairly common image here so they may really want that incorporated but not be too attached to the rest of the design.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 9

Google Iwo Jima.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not seeing your picture.

If it's soldiers raising a flag I'm betting that it's a WWII image from Iwo Jima.

Is this cake for November by any chance?

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 9

That would be from World War Two...one of the most famous war pictures of all time. Google or wikipedia "Iwo Jima". I could go on for the next few hours!! but I will spare you icon_biggrin.gif (History is my other "love").

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 9

That is called "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima" it is a very popular picture that was taken during WWII. It's one of the most recognizable images from the war. A statue was made to commemorate the event, it's in Arlington, Virginia. Just google it and you'll find all kinds of info and pictures.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 9

Okay I can see it now.

It's what I thought it was and it isn't being requested because it's an American symbol, which it is, but because it's very specifically a Marine Corps symbol.

SInce this cake would be for the Marine Corps birthday the image on top is very appropriate.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 9

Wow! What an honor!

Definately a very appropriate design for the upcoming Marine Corps birthday in November. Like the others have said, it's from the very famous Iwo Jimo battle of WWII.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 9

dang! I wanna see the picture! icon_cry.gif

Congrats on getting this commission from the Embassy! I'm envious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%