Diabetic Bc Recipe?

Decorating By UltimateCakes Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm by leah_s

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

I did a search, maybe the wrong way, and still can't find a good diabetic BC icing recipe. icon_cry.gif can you help?

5 replies
susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:11am
post #2 of 6

I could be OFF THE WALL here but I don't believe that diabetic and icing can be put in the same sentence. icon_smile.gif
You could try to create your own recipe that may be better for a diabetic though.
You could use splenda in place of confectionery sugar but I have no clue if you will be able to decorate with it or not. On the Splenda website it tells how to make SPLENDA powdered sugar.
http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=149437
Here are the three reviews that were on the site.
"i used this in an icing recipe and it was great. i couldn't see using just by itself as a garnish, but it worked well mixed in a recipe. i think i'll try it tonight in my whipped cream !"

"I made this and it hardened on my cupcakes like cement. It tasted just like straight up cornstarch too. What a waste of 3/4 cup of splenda. The choclate-choclate cupcakes were good though after I peeled off the icing like elmers glue."

"absolutely outstanding! hallelujah! thank you thank you thank you."

PLEASE let us know what you come up with.
Susie

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:35am
post #3 of 6

I don't know of any buttercream recipes for a diabetic, but there is an icing recipe that I make for my diabetic father. Take a 16 oz. container of cool whip and slowly add any flavor of instant pudding (small package) while mixing with a mixer. My whole family loves this icing. It is more the consistency of meringue. It does need to be refrigerated. HTH

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:14am
post #4 of 6

My DH is a diabetic and I have a diabetic book that gives you a chocolate frosting.

250ml skimmed milk
25ml cornflour
8ml liquid artificial sweetener
60ml cocoa powder
5ml vanilla essence
pinch of salt
37,5ml water.

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until thick.
Allow to cool and beat well until a spreading consistency.

Got the recipe for the chocolate squares too if someone wants that

Also got the recipe for carrot cake topping..........so let me know if you want that as well.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:56am
post #5 of 6

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll play around a bit to see what works.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 6

There's a good diabetic icing recipe here on CC in the recipe section. I've used it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%