Need Help Asap With Icing Recipe

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm by auntiecake

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 9

I have a cake order for this Saturday. Today, the client wants to change the icing because the bride (it's for a bridal shower) does not like buttercream. She likes "sugar icing". We are covering the cake in Fondant and the filling is supposed to be strawberry buttercream and covered in vanilla buttercream, topped with fondant. I asked her what she meant by "sugar icing" and this was the message she gave me -
"I was thinking of the icing that they use for inexpensive pre-made birthday cakes at the supermarket. I thought of this but wasn't sure what they used. Maybe it's buttercream and I just didn't realize? It usually is more sugary tasting then the buttery tasting buttercream one would find at an upscale bakery."
I don't use much other than buttercream. Can anyone give me a recipe that might fit what she is looking for that has been tested and tastes good with yellow cake and vanilla fondant? I can not make anything that needs to be refrigerated since I am an in-home baker. Thanks for the help!

8 replies
frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:09am
post #2 of 9

Try the Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting in the Recipes section OR try buying some icing in bulk from a grocery store OR try using Pastry Pride.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 9

Indydebi has a Crisco based icing recipe posted in recipes; I haven't tried it yet, but plan to this weekend. I don't see why you couldn't use your own BC recipe and just replace the butter with shortening?

I actually never had "real" BC until a few weeks ago when I made some recipes I found on here. I grew up on shortening only icing, so I know what your bride is talking about. Now though, I much prefer BC with actual butter in it!!

Oh hey, here's one I just noticed I'd written on my dry erase board that I got off Youtube. I did make it, and instead of vanilla I used orange extract and it was delicious. (over spice cake.....even the kids are begging me to make it again!)

2 lb. powdered sugar
1 c. shortening (I like the kind that still has trans fats in it better)
1/2 c. water
1tsp. salt (I could definitely taste the salt, but I love the sweet/salty thing, so you might want to either cut that back or dissolve it in the water first; I swear I could feel the salt crystals!)
1 tsp. vanilla

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #4 of 9

They're looking for American buttercream as opposed to IMBC or SMBC.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:10am
post #5 of 9

i also use the shortening based one. I actually use the one from wilton but without the milk. Its similar to the one suggested in the earlier post. I just don't add salt. google the wilton one. my clients like that one, and I use it alot. It's very sweet.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #6 of 9

American Buttercream- How about using the Wilton recipe and using part butter or Imperial. Otherwise the recipe above is similar, except I think the Wilton has meringue powder in it which helps it to crust and makes it easier to work with if you don't use hi ratio shortening. Indydebi's is yummy and you cant' miss w/ it. I have tried and love it! Thanks indydebi!!!!

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 9

I looked at Indydebi's recipe and it looks good. But, question. With the Dream Whip, does it make it whipped creamy? That was the other thing she didn't want was a whipped icing, either. If it is, I'll try Callyssas icing. Thanks for all the help!

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 9

This is what I use...

2 lbs Domino powdered sugar
1 1/2 c all vegetable shortning
1/2 c liquids (I put 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla in a 1/2 cup and fill the rest with water.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 9

No The dream whip just adds stability to the icing and it tastes yummy. It is also creamier I think. Definitely no whipped icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%