Does Crusting Butter Cream Taste Good?

Decorating By UltimateCakes Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm by saramachen

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

You've all suggested that i use the Mel Roller method to ice a cake smooth. I did a search on CC and it suggested Crusting Butter Cream. Does it still taste good?
LL

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Of course it does. What type of bc do you typically use? I only use a crusting one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

Depends on the recipe, of course, but the outside of the icing crusts ... the inside is still nice and soft and delish!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 7

I have always used the Wilton BC recipe. Tastes great and never lets me down. But I am going to make a practice cake using dummies soon and want to get the "fondon't" look (lol) but do not wish to compromise the taste.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 7

Taste is subjectiveicon_smile.gif What tastes good to me might not to you.
There really isn't much difference between cursting and non cursting b'cream.
Non crusting usually is creamier.

UltimateCakes: If you are going to make dummy cakes why do you care what it tastes like??? Who is going to eat it? icon_smile.gif
There are soooooooo many great recipes out there why don't you try o ne or two....Wilton's BC is not the top of the line.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 7

Personally, I think the Wilton recipe is rather... ummm... not so tasty. I guess it's a matter of taste. There are several crusting recipes here. I know many swear by Indydeb's recipe. I use one by a lady called Serious_Cakes, that I've made twice now and I'm a big fan! The taste is excellent, the texture is smooth and creamy, and it forms a lovely crust. I am looking forward to baking my next cake and trying the Viva method on a big scale. Did it on cupcakes last weekend and it was GREAT!

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 7

The wilton buttercream is a crusting buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%