Hard Candy Jewels

Sugar Work By pbeckwith Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm by CIApastrychef

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 10

I'm in the process of making the candy jewels (lollipops too) and am wonder how you get the perfectly clear ones. Mine has a yellowish tint to it. It's no problem with the colored ones but I'd like to do clear ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

9 replies
cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 10

Hard candy made with regular sugar (sucrose) looks yellow if no color is added to it. Use Isomalt instead of sugar. No corn syrup needed, just boil with water and it comes out beautifully clear. Isomalt is expensive, but worth it if clarity is important.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecookie6

Hard candy made with regular sugar (sucrose) looks yellow if no color is added to it. Use Isomalt instead of sugar. No corn syrup needed, just boil with water and it comes out beautifully clear. Isomalt is expensive, but worth it if clarity is important.

Where do you get isomalt? I've never heard of it.

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 10

www.sugarcraft.com has it. www.shopcountrykitchen is getting it in soon, at a really good price. Isomalt is used for pulled sugar and other fancy sugar creations. It is supposed to not get tacky like hard candy.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:09am
post #5 of 10

I read on here somewhere that the color violet cancels yellow. So couldn't you add a drop or two and see if that works?

nelly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelly27 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:35am
post #6 of 10

Ive heard if you melt sugar free lollies they are very clear and not yellow sounds easier than do it from scratch

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:21am
post #7 of 10

If you add some sort of an acid (lemon juice, cream of tartar) to it, it will keep the color from turning less yellow. BUT, don't add too much, because too much acid will make your jewels not rock hard like regular sugar would.

-Kristy

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 10

What kind of saucepan is used with making the candy? I have read a copper pot.. .but is that a MUST or a suggestion?? I dont own one... also... I read that desiccant (silicon gel like in the shoe boxes) is necessary to keep the jewels "dry" in high humid areas.

I just purchased the isomalt at www.country kitchen sweet sa.com

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 10

Annnnnnd get ready for a mess. And bubbles on the face of your jewels. I found if you stir them a bit while super hot, scraping down into the mold, the bubble will dissipate. Somewhat. At least you won't have huge craters on the face of the jewel. Really....melting down candies is pretty easy. Find some clear ones, and if you are wanting bright colors, get some jolly ranchers.

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 10

Some sort of dessicant is essential in pretty much any mid to high humidity area.
Limestone and silica gel are the most common, and not much is needed at all. If using limestone, be sure to check it regularly, as it will start to expand when it needs to be changed in order to keep absorbing moisture.

-Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%