Trouble With Buttercream!! Please Help.

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm by topaz176

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 8

Where I live is always hot weather.
I am having trouble especially with cakes that have fillings, the buttercream forms like a bump on the sides of the cake.

Did this happen to anyone?

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #2 of 8

Do you allow your cakes to settle (for a few hours or even overnight) after filling before you frost them? This could be one cause.

topaz176 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 8

Oh NO!!!!!

I fill and then decorate one time.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #4 of 8

Hi, I'm in the Bahamas so I know what you mean about the heat icon_cool.gif . I cool my cakes completely and then wrap and refrigerate. If I don't make them enough time to refrigerate, then I allow them to cool for awhile on a rack. You can even just wrap and leave overnight, without refrigerating. Letting them rest and set really makes a difference when you start filling and frosting. Make sure you use a crisco-based buttercream (I use Indydebi's) and make a really good dam around the edge of the cake before you add the filling. That will help hold it in and keep your edges from bulging. The dam isn't necessary if your using only buttercream for filling.

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif .

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 8

also... do you make a buttercream dam around the inside of the layer.... not right at the edge.... but just a little ways in... make sure the dam is thick enough..... put your filling.... not real heavy.... then let it set up a little while.... then ice your cake with an icing that is not too thin.... but not too thick either... hth

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8

topaz176: I looked at your website...your cakes are awesome thumbs_up.gif ! You're obviously doing a lot of things right icon_biggrin.gif , even if your buttercream is misbehaving icon_lol.gif !

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 8

I had a birthday cake last month that was going to a park in 98 degree Florida heat and 90% humidity! Used Indydebi's recipe with Hi Ratio shortening and it held up beautifully! I also take out some of the frosting from the mixer bowl when it's really stiff to save for the dam before I add enough liquid to get the softer spredable consistancy I use for the outside.

topaz176 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

topaz176: I looked at your website...your cakes are awesome thumbs_up.gif ! You're obviously doing a lot of things right icon_biggrin.gif , even if your buttercream is misbehaving icon_lol.gif !

Ha ha ha!

Well I most admit that most of my cakes are not filled. (Except fridge cakes)
People here do not really care for fillings.
But I love my chocolate cakes filled.
Most of the time I use chocolate frosting and I do not have a problem.
The problem is when I cover it with butter cream.

Thank you all for all the responses. Now I know better icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%