Sps Instructions

Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 7:04pm by leah_s

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 3:38pm
post #391 of 586

Thanks Leah, that's what I was thinking. i always punch holes in the bottoms of the boards - i have only forgotten 1x! what a pain icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:48pm
post #392 of 586

As I say in the tutorial, "You'll only forget to punch the hole in the board once." It's a painful lesson. icon_smile.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:23am
post #393 of 586

Leah, I am so glad you keep up with this thread!! I am doing a 12-10-8-6 wedding cake that has to be transported 100 miles, plus 6 remote 12 cakes. Could you please "O.K." this order for me. I will need 10-8-6 plates and 12 GC-4 legs. Is this correct. Do these come in different colors besides white and what is the name of the plates that I order. Much thanks to you for all your help with this.

leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:26am
post #394 of 586

Plates come in white and ivory; and legs come in white, ivory and frosted. You've got the parts list correct. The plates don't have a name, other than "plates."

Just go to the Oasis Supply site and put SPS in the search box and all will pop up. Then before you place your order, put cake central in the search box for a coupon.

maryj Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:33pm
post #395 of 586

Thank you for your help, and the tip about the coupon...I love coupons!!

SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:40am
post #396 of 586

Hi! I've always used dowels, but I've been wanting to use the separator plates system ... however, I have a quick question.... this question may sound crazy so I'll try to explain it the best I can...
I've found that some plates stick out the sides of the cake, so ... do you use 13" separator plate for under a 13" cake or would you use a 12" separator plate under a 13" cake?? And what is the best place to buy the separator plates from? Because do the sizes vary by brand? I'm thinking either Bakery Crafts or Wholesale sugar flowers? Please help? It's for a 7", 10", 13", and 16" cake ... and when I deliver, do you think I should assemble it at the venue or before delivery? thank you!!!!!!

leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:57am
post #397 of 586

This thread is about the SPS system. There's a tutorial about it on page 15 of this Sticky.

You use the same size plate as cake.

Oasis Supply has very good pricing. Or you can order the system from BakeryCrafts if you have a wholesale account set up with them.

SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:57am
post #398 of 586

Ok, thank you so much!!!! icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:43am
post #399 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

This thread is about the SPS system. There's a tutorial about it on page 15 of this Sticky.

You use the same size plate as cake.

Oasis Supply has very good pricing. Or you can order the system from BakeryCrafts if you have a wholesale account set up with them.

Just went to page 15 and found it. I'm a visual person so this is brilliant as I couldn't work out how to do it before. Thanks!

maryj Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:59pm
post #400 of 586

I have got to get a life!!!! My SPS just arrived and I feel like it's Christmas morning.....seriously!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:15pm
post #401 of 586

Congrats Maryj,
You'll never go back to the other wayicon_smile.gif

maryj Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:16pm
post #402 of 586

So I don't have to read through 27 pages.....so cakes are baked and filled and they are 4" high...now I put frosting on, doesn't that make them more than 4" and what wil happen when I start stacking? How in the world am I gonna know how much frosting to put on the cakes? I am a bit nervous about assembling this cake, anybody....PLEASE HELP!!!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #403 of 586

I don't know if it was hallucinating (or wishful thinking) but is there an option for a premade 5" SPS column? I swear I read that in another thread when the talk came around to trying to saw off the 9" legs to 5" high.

am i crazy? or where can I find a 5" column.

maryj Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:04am
post #404 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

So I don't have to read through 27 pages.....so cakes are baked and filled and they are 4" high...now I put frosting on, doesn't that make them more than 4" and what wil happen when I start stacking? How in the world am I gonna know how much frosting to put on the cakes? I am a bit nervous about assembling this cake, anybody....PLEASE HELP!!!

So I read through all 27 pages and this question was asked numerous times with no answers to it.....I do not have an agbay leveler and I do use an icing tip after I crumb coat.....I got a bad feeling about this. And here a few days ago it seemed like Christmas morning icon_sad.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #405 of 586

Actually you don't need an Agbay leveler to get your cakes the correct height. You just need a basic ruler and an idea of how much filling and icing you are going to add in. This is going to be long but I promise it's not that big of a deal. Just write it down the first time you do it and use that for future reference.

Let's say you bake cakes in 2 inch pans. For simplicity let's asssume you are not torting your cake. Just 2 layers of cake, icing in the middle and on top.

If you want to be consistent with your filling between the layers use either a tip or an open coupler to put the icing between the two layers. Your icer tip is fine if that's the amount you like to use. I use an open coupler if I'm not torting. That means my inside icing is just under 1/2 inch once it's all compressed. My top icing is going to be a little bit less than that generally so let's say 1/4 of inch. So on average I loose 3/4 of inch to icing and filling them my total cake height should be 3.25 inches, so I would need to level each of my cake layers to 1.625 inches (don't be that exact. I'd probably go for 1.5 inches each.

You don't have an Agbay, so the question is how do I get them to 1.5 inches every time. After your cakes are cool, take several cake circles (one size down from the cake size) and stack them up to 1/2 an inch. Tape them together and wrap them in something like Press and Seal. This will let you reuse them later.

Place the cake circles in the bottom of the pan and place your cooled cake on top. You cake is now sticking out 1/2 inch from the top of the pan. Using a long serrated knife, level your cake using the top of the pan as your guide. You now have 1.5 inch layer cake. Now repeat this with the other tier, fill and ice and you should be right at 4 inches.

One good tool to invest in, is a sewing ruler. These are the little rulers that have a slide on them. (You can get them at walmart). If you're afraid your tiers are to too tall or too short, once you have them frosted but not decorated or covered in fondant, check the height with a sewing rule. You can add frosting to adjust.

If you're doing fondant don't forget to allow for fondant height to be included in your calculation. Everyone stresses about this but if you can get it pretty close to 4 inches (a tiny bit over or under is fine) then it's not an issue. If there is a big gap between then it's a pain. But using the sewing ruler you should know before you put in the legs.

sillywabbitz Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:34am
post #406 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I don't know if it was hallucinating (or wishful thinking) but is there an option for a premade 5" SPS column? I swear I read that in another thread when the talk came around to trying to saw off the 9" legs to 5" high.

am i crazy? or where can I find a 5" column.

I just looked on Oasis and they only carry the 4 inch and the 9 inch. Sorry

maryj Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #407 of 586

Miss silly, aren't you helpful!!!! what a great leveling idea. I went to the freezer and pulled out the cakes, stacked together they measure3 3/4 inches. all layers are the same height. I will level each layer to 1.5 inches and that will allow me 1 inch play room...can always add more frosting! thank you for being so kind as to type all that out.....short lived panic!!

leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:59pm
post #408 of 586

Oasis Supply certainly DOES carry the 5" columns - in two colors.

http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=1~BC+GC10S That's the frosted columns

Here are the white 5" columns. http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=1~BC+GC9S

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #409 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Oasis Supply certainly DOES carry the 5" columns - in two colors.

http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=1~BC+GC10S That's the frosted columns

Here are the white 5" columns. http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=1~BC+GC9S

THANK YOU! So i'm assuming that you can just use a 5" 'Grecian column' in the same way as a 4" without the collars for a stacked cake with no separation?

AWESOME! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #410 of 586

Yes.

The 4" columns are also Grecian Columns. (the product number is GC (Grecian Column) 4 (4") S)

You will have parts left over from the multi-piece leg set. I don't think that they are recyclable, so just throw them away.

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:29am
post #411 of 586

Hello,
I have read the first 15 pages of this thread, and maybe I missed it somewhere, but I have a question about the general construction of a 3 tier cake.

I am making a 6, 8, 12 cake covered in fondant this weekend. I have downloaded the tutorial, purchased the SPS materials and am pretty much set to go.

My question is, on my 12 inch tier, I bought a cake drum to put it on. Do I merely attach the tier to the cake drum with buttercream? Then put on the 8 inch and 6 inch the SPS plates? Is a round 1/2inch cake drum enough to support a 3 tier cake or do I need to make an emergency trip to Michael's/Hobby Lobby to buy something else?

leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #412 of 586

1/2" drum is fine - especially for a cake that small.

All the rest is correct.

maryj Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:07pm
post #413 of 586

WEll...I delivered my first wedding cake on the SPS system. 70 miles on extreme northern minnesota roads, through a road construction site...I can not explain the stress I had for the first 20 miles...it arrived in perfect form to the venue!!! I am a believer!!
On a side note....we hit a deer on the way home, glad that didn't happen on the way there!! Thank you Leah for such detailed instructions, even though I forgot to smear frosting on the seperator plates, that sucker didn't move a fraction of an inch!!

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:20pm
post #414 of 586

It is a great system. I can't believe anyone uses dowels any longer!

So happy to hear it worked for you. And sorry to hear about the deer and probably your car . . .

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:48pm
post #415 of 586

Does anyone know if we can get sps in the UK yet? (i may have missed something on a previous page but its a lot to read lol)

I would Love to try it!!

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:50pm
post #416 of 586

so after looking on both sites, sps only works for round tiers? how do you recommend stacking a square (base tier), round (middle tier), and hexagon (top tier) wedding cake?

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #417 of 586

SPS plates come on round, square and heart shaped. Just use a round under a hex cake. All available on the Oasis Supply site.

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #418 of 586

SPS plates come on round, square and heart shaped. Just use a round under a hex cake. All available on the Oasis Supply site.

Shumab02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shumab02 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:32am
post #419 of 586

I have a three tier cake to deliver this coming Sunday. I just found out that the driveway to the venue is up a long hill with the big chunks of gravel so it'll be very rough. Will the cake make it if I stack it ahead of time or should I stack onsite? This will be the first time using the SPS system. The cake is fondant if that makes a difference. TIA!

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:56am
post #420 of 586

The cake should be fine, but I haven't seen the road, so don't sue me. icon_smile.gif
However, if you have doubts and only since it's your first time with SPS, you could stack the bottom couple of tiers and place the top ones onsite. Do what you're comfortable with. And remember, you do have to be able to lift whatever you prestack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%