I Smell Burnt Cake!!!

Decorating By Jasmine33 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm by Jasmine33

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

And I am pissed! But it is not quite burnt, it is overflowing. And it is what is overflowing that is burning!

I am trying to make a single layer 6", 8", 10" and 12" stacked cake(for practice). That is what I get for measuring out exact batter amounts and trying to be so careful!!

Wilton says for party servings, single layer, 2" high, amount of batter in cups = 2 , 3.5, 6, and 7.5. The only one NOT over flowing is the 12"!!

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

6 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 7

Usually its the overflow burning that you smell. You should be okay, just trim off the overflow.

I always freak out when I smell that burnt smell.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 7

If by chance it does start to catch fire in the bottom of the oven, whip open the door, throw baking soda down in the bottom and close it up, puts out the fire and you don't lose baking time. Uh...not that I have any experience with fires in the oven or anything.... icon_wink.gif

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 7

Been there, done that. Sucks.....what else can I say. Practice makes perfect. Blessings, Debra

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #5 of 7

I tried that once, following the Wilton guide for measuring the batter to the pan, after having to clean the oven I decided to cut the amount by half a cup and it seamed to work. HTH next time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraDough

Been there, done that. Sucks.....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif yeah, that pretty much sums it up! That smell does put you in a panic mode,especially if you're baking late at night and just don't want to have to make up a new batch of anything!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thanx ladies.

Well I figured out what happened. I bake from scratch so sometimes we try to make "mixes" up before hand. Well my eldest dd was was helping me and I think she goofed on one of them! Arrrggghhh!!!

So that was the batter for the 6", the 8" and half of the 10"!!!! The batter for the 12" was fine and I made a small dinosaur smash cake too.

We tossed the burnt cakes and the one in the 12" turned out perfect and the dinosaur cake.

We decided to top it and fill it with cherry's. MMMMM....

Trying to cut it evenly is a pain though.

Wilton "party" slices say it will serve 20 people. So I told my dh to cut it into 4. Then each triangle cut 2 in the top, and 3 on the bottom. LOL

Anyhow it didn't turn out too bad with the cutting but some pieces are bigger than the others and the pieces toward the top fall apart more but all in all it is one delicious cake.

The cake recipe has where you add sugar with the flour and other dry ingredients and we didn't realize the sugar was already added and shaken up in it. So I think the first batch had way too much sugar!

Debi

Quote:
Quote:

yeah, that pretty much sums it up! That smell does put you in a panic mode,especially if you're baking late at night and just don't want to have to make up a new batch of anything!

Yeah thank goodness it wasn't for a customer! But I really wanted to do my stacked princess cake. Oh well, maybe next weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

shadowgypsie

Thanx. When you measure do you use a dry measuring cup or a liquid? I tried dry before and ended up with some batter left over so this time we used the liquid. I think I will try it one more time like wilton says because I think I goofed on the batter for the first 2.5 cakes.

We also used bake even oven strips and some make shift ones. The 12" came out perfect. It rose to the top and Joe didn't even have to level it. He said he could of but it would of been just a tiny bit.

I think I am going to buy a scale next weekend and if that amount of batter works next time, I am just going to write down how much it weighs and do it that way from her on out. Trying to measure it is such a pain.

DebraDough

Thanx. Yep that is what we are doing. Better now than for a customer. lol

TJCanadian

Thanx for letting us know. I have a big bucket of baking soda that would come in handy! haha

aztomcat

Yes it was the overflow but unfortunately with me messing up the recipe, the cakes also took extremely long to bake and when they came out they did taste really good but they looked goofy. They looked like they would collapse if I tried to decorate. Probably had 3 cups too much sugar in that batter. Yikes! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%