Prayer Request

Lounge By Jocmom Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm by Daisys_Cakes

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 66

My mother was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2001. Mom has been recieving various treatments since then, and we've been on an emotional roller-coaster. To make a long story short - Mom is having her bladder and one of her kidneys removed on October 8th. Her surgery will be at University of Michigan Hospital, which is a 2 hour drive from my home. Mom will be in the hospital for 8-10 days, then be home-bound for the following 6 weeks. Dad passed away in 2000, so my siblings and I will take turns staying with Mom so she won't be alone.

I spoke with Mom's doctor the other day (such a nice lady), and she explained the risks, the possible complications, and the total life change that this will mean for Mom and the rest of our family. Because Mom is almost 79, the surgery itself is a risk.

We're a very close family - and we've been down this road before - but we could use your prayers right now.

65 replies
pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 66

You and your family are in my prayers.

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 66

prayers are being sent up for you and your family.

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 66

My prayers are with you, your family, and the doctors. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 66

You've got mine.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 66

I will keep you all in my prayers and will think of you and your family on Oct 8th.
God bless your mom and may all go well with her operation.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 66

You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers. And as SimplyM said don't forget to take care of yourself.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 66

Will keep you in my prayers.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 66

Ditto, will add you to my list. Keep the Faith, He will be with you!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 66

You will be in our prayers as well.

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 66

I will pray for your Mom and your family. (((Hugs)))

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 66

Prayers to you all.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 66

Wishing your mom and your family the best! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. They always tell me take one day at a time and enjoy each day to its fullest. God Bless and take care.

Jocmom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyM

My prayers are with you, your family, and the doctors. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Thanks everyone. And thank you for thinking of the doctors too, SmiplyM. When Mom had surgery at U of M a few years ago, her surgeon and everyone else that was going to be in the operating room took the time to visit us in the pre-op area to speak with us. They intorduced themselves, explained their roles in the surgery, and answered questions. I'd never experienced anything like that, and when I mentioned it to my mother's doctor after the surgery she said that she does that for every surgery. It puts the patient and their family at ease and makes the time spent waitng fly by.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 66

You've got it! There's a post it on my monitor and I'll pray each day when I sit down to check my e mail. God bless you and your family.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 66

I will put all of you in my prayers. I will ask God to watch over the doctor and nurses who will be doing the operation. May she have an easy recovery and keep yourself well.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #17 of 66

I'm praying for you all. If you don't mind me asking what is your Mom's first name, I'd like to add her to my church's prayer group? She'll be remembered in the entire congregation's daily prayers. I so believe in the power of prayer, it's gotten my family through a lot of difficult things in the past. May God Bless you all.

Hugs,
Debbie

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #18 of 66

Yes, I would like to add her to our prayer list at church.

The last time my DH had surgery, the doctors came and talk with us before and then asked if they could say a prayer. I was so touched.

Consider your mom, your family and the surgical staff having many prayers being said for them. Hugs to you all.

fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #19 of 66

Your family will be in my prayers. Please post a note whenever time permits post-surgery, and let us know how she's doing! May Christ lovingly wrap you in his loving arms and give you strength and peace!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #20 of 66

Our prayers are with you & your family.
That roller coaster can be tough but you sound like you have a great support system & that can really help in times like this.
Take care of yourself also,
Nancy

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #21 of 66

God bless you, your Mother, your family and the doctors. May you all find the strength you will need during this trying time.

Jocmom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #22 of 66

Thanks so much to everyone.

Great minds think alike. My brother and I added Mom's name to the prayer list at our church last night. Debbie - my mom's name is Mary Alice Falk, her doctor is Cheryl Lee.

I believe in the power of prayer. When my father was in the hospital, at one point we honestly thought that we were losing him. A visiting priest (it was a Sunday) asked if he could pray over him. It was like someone flipped a light switch. Dad was released from the hospital that Wednesday and happily spent the next 3 months at home.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #23 of 66

Without saying..... my prayers are yours........ ((( HUGS ))))

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #24 of 66

I'm in Michigan too, so hopefully my prayers will be even closer for you! Keep you your strength and everything will turn out fine. She'll be in one of THEE best hospitals!!

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #25 of 66

You will definitely have my prayers at this very stressful time. May you Mom come through this surgery with no problems at all. God Bless!

Jocmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:02am
post #26 of 66

Mom had her first round of pre-op tests and exams on Wednesday. So far everything looks fine and they aren't worried about complications due to other health issues. We have one more series of tests on October 1st, then we head to Ann Arbor on October 7th to be prepared for surgery on the 8th.

Mom seems to be taking this all very well so far. I really don't know if I would be so calm if the shoe were on the other foot.

An old friend that I haven't heard from in awhile contacted me out of the blue this week. He's a pastor. He sent me an email asking how everyone is doing and asked about Mom. He's added her and the medical staff at U of M to the prayer list at his church.

Thanks again to everyone for your support. It means so much to me and to my family.

thumbs_up.gif

Jocmom Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:05pm
post #27 of 66

Update - My sister took Mom to her tests on October 1st, and both doctors that examined her said that her blood pressure was way out of control. Her primary doctor won't allow her to go through with her surgery until her blood pressure is back to normal. Mom's on new medication, and her neighbor (a nurse) has been checking her blood pressure a couple times a day since the 1st. Her surgery has been postponed until this issue is resolved.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:16am
post #28 of 66

Jocmom,
I totally understand your situation and all the roller coaster emotions that go with it. a year and a half ago, my mother was diagnosed with and had removed her colon cancer.

Thru the many, many prayers our family recieved God not only helped her thru the surgery, she was home in no time and a month after traveling with me from LA TO LV. Crazy, huh, but that's our Lord.

May he keep you, direct your paths and lift you, your family and all that are concerend, up during the most trying of times.

Mine and my family's prayers will hold yours up for as long as it takes. I have also added you to the church prayer request.

Love & Hugs to you

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:35am
post #29 of 66

Your family and you are in my prayers, God Bless icon_smile.gif

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #30 of 66

Wow... I am overwhelmed by the women of faith on here! This is so awesome!

Joc Mom,

Matthew 18:19-20 says:
19"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

You obviously have lots of people praying so you can be assured that the Lord hears your cries. One thing that we have to remember is that God's plan is not always our plan, so if something goes wrong (in your eyes) remember that God is in control and He sees the BIG picture.

I will definitely pray for your mother as she goes under the knife tomorrow. May your family have comfort and strength, may the doctors have clearity of mind and may your mother have PEACE!

Blessings,
Suzie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%