Ideas For A Filling For....

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm by weirkd

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 7

a fondant covered cake? I was hoping to do something other than buttercream and that does not need to be refrigerated. I wanted to do a custard on one tier and a mousse on another but the cake, due to being covered in fondant, cannot be in the fridge and it's being made today for consumption on Saturday. I would love to hear your ideas!

Thanks!
Ashley

6 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

Really depends on the flavor of the cake. What kind of cake is it?
You can make a mississippi mud filling with nuts, and mini chocolate chips and put it in a chocolate buttercream or a chocolate frosting. I usually add it to a chocolate mousse so if you dont want to refrigerate it, I would try it with a frosting instead.
Also, you can use something like Ferrar Roche crushed to make a different type of filling. I think adding it to nutella would be really yummy.
Also, there is a cooked frosting that is intended for a devil dog or (whoopie pie) that you could add things to as well. Paula Deens recipe for Two Brothers Chocolate Gobs on Food Network has the recipe for the filling. I sometimes substitute almond extract instead of vanilla which gives it a wonderful flavor.
You can also use jellys, jams, pie fillings, all that dont have to be refrigerated.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 7

the cake is simply wilton's butter cake with satin ice choc. fondant. i don't want it to get too heavy with choc. could i do a jam filling or would that need to be refrigerated as well?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

Jam would not need to be refrigerated. You could do a white chocolate w/ raspberry filling. Nuttella goes great with chocolate, or some kind of espresso or licquor (kahlua) bc....

Good luck!

weirkd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 7

Then I would highly suggest doing the filling from Paula Dean. It goes excellent with chocolate cake and Ive never had a complaint about people not liking it. And like I said, I substitute almond extract for the vanilla.
It makes for a wonderful tasting cake without being overly chocolate and overly sweet.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 7

I refridgerate my fondant cakes all the time I have one in there right now. I use instant pudding but replace the milk with heavy whipping cream. It sets up well and tastes wonderful. It is like a nice thick mousse.

You can add jam to add another dimension of flavor, either in a layer or to the mousse. just not to much.

weirkd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 7

I do the same but she doesnt want to refrigerate it and I wouldnt suggest leaving out a mousse. It might curdle and that would be a bad thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%