Lounge By myheartsdesire Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm by andysprite

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 3

Anyone from Arkansas?? id love to hear if someone knows arkansas laws regarding bakeries.

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 3

Apparently, Arkansas does not license home kitchens. You can check with your local Health Department inspectors about commercial kitchens. Some states allow separate kitchens in homes to be licensed. Again, there may be zoning restrictions.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 3

I live in central Arkansas and just today submitted my business plans for review with the State Department of Health.

Arkansas does not liscense home bakeries. You can build a kitchen separate from your home and if you're rural (like I am) the regulations are pretty simple. I have to have the required sinks (mop sink, 3 compartment sink with drain boards, and hand washing sink). The bathroom has to have a self closing door and proper ventilation. The walls, floor, and ceiling have to be smooth, light colored, and easily cleaned. That's about it in terms of building requirements.

You have to submit a floor plan that shows all of your sinks, appliances, etc. I also had to get a liscensed plumber to draw up a "riser sketch" showing all of the plumbing lines. [Forunately, one of my hubby's best friends is a plumber. icon_smile.gif] You will also have to write up a cost estimate sheet, which can be obtained from your local health department along with a checklist and the info I listed above.

I hope that helps some. If you have any more questions, please let me know. I'm learning as I go but would be happy to share what I learn.


Quote by @%username% on %date%