A Good Icing

Decorating By Heidimp86 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 1:17am by antonia74

Heidimp86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heidimp86 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

I need a new Icing recipe that tastes good and not ( Lardy) I want to use it on my cake as the frosting and the decorative icing,, any ideas
Thank's icon_smile.gif

6 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 7

I cannot recommend Italian or Swiss meringue buttercreams enough. (IMBC and SMBC)
They do not use shortening or powdered sugar, taste SO good, and can be used to decorate and pipe with.

There are a ton of recipes here and online for both kinds, and for decorating inspiration and proof, do check out the users who prefer it also (Shirley W and antonia74 come to mind.)

There is a whole big thread about them so you can see what others think too, but I can't find it this minute. Do a search for either of these icings and I bet it will pop up.

I just made a big batch myself, half done in chocolate and half with orange and cinnamon. Except for one other egg-white based icing that does use powdered sugar which I use for a few things, I ALWAYS use IMBC or SMBC.
SO good.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 7

Please tell me the difference between IM and SM bc, and do these crust?
TIA icon_smile.gif

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 7

IMBC uses a sugar and water syrup cooked to soft ball stage then added to whipped egg whites. Butter and flavor is then added.

SMBC has the sugar and egg whites cooked over a bain marie first, then whipped, then added butter and flavor.
They are liked whipped cream, but more stable.

They do not crust at all.

Do a search for them (darned if I can find the thread I am thinking of...) here and you will find out tons!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 7

SugarShack's is perfecticon_smile.gif
To me using IMBC or Swiss is like eating a stick of butter icon_sad.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #6 of 7

Another voice heard from... I just tried Serious Cakes' buttercream recipe and I'm SOLD. You can find a video about making her buttercream on Youtube, just search for Serious Cakes. Fair warning however, she has several videos there and you're likely to have to watch all of them, I know I did.

It is a nice mix of butter and shortening... light texture and EXCELLENT flavor. I don't think there is much you couldn't do with it. Now I want to go home and make a cake...LOL!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7

Here's the thread! It has tons of amazing info and tips about using IMBC and making it....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-404613-plastering.html

and here's step-by-step articles with pics showing how both IMBC and SMBC are made!

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/IMBC2.pdf

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/how-to-SMBC.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%