Covering Cake Dummies

Decorating By Casandra383 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm by JMSweets

Casandra383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Casandra383 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a dummy cake for my sisters wedding next month. I want it covered in fondant but have never worked with it. I refuse to use fondant because of the taste. But obviously this won't be eaten! icon_biggrin.gif

I really do not want to practice on her wedding cake. Would a shop cover the 'cakes' in fondant for me? Then I could do all the decorating. Any idea how much I could expect it to cost? Any info would be helpful...Thanks!

4 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:11am
post #2 of 5

i am not sure about a cake shop covering your dummies, you can always call, doesn't hurt to ask....

but i must say, fondant is really very easy to work with. I was terrified when i first started, but after I had covered my first cake, i thought "i'm done?!? that wasn't hard!" there are tons of videos you can watch that can help show you how to do it.

Good Luck!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:31am
post #3 of 5

Hi,

I ordered sugarshacks dvd's (all great btw!!) and one of them is called Flawless Fondant it is very detailed and I think you would have a good shot of doing this yourself if you order here dvd. She ships really fast so you would have plenty of time to try this technique out for yourself and she has awesome customer support!

Here's her website:
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Sugar_Ed_Productions.html

If you go checkout this website you can see a couple of free tutorials for Satin Ice that could also help you out or help you decide if you would like to try this yourself or perhaps have someone do it for you:

http://atecousa.net/learn/satin-ice-tutorial-i-icing-your-cake.html

I'm sure there are others online as well you could always try youtube for some free tutorials on-line as well. Also if you do decide to do this yourself you could always try to make some homemade fondant from some of the recipes listed here if you do not want to buy it.

HTH!

JMSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMSweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 5

If you are making your dummy cake with styrfoam then just spray it lightly with water and overlay it with the fondant.

Fondant is so much easier than frosting a cake. Its like playing with playdough.

If you dont like the taste of fondant then make your own MMF but add lots of butter flavor. Thats what I do and when I get a new customer and they are reluctant to do fondant I have them taste the box stuff and then taste mine and they never look but and hardly ever go back to frosting. usaribbon.gif

JMSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMSweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

If you are making your dummy cake with styrfoam then just spray it lightly with water and overlay it with the fondant.

Fondant is so much easier than frosting a cake. Its like playing with playdough.

If you dont like the taste of fondant then make your own MMF but add lots of butter flavor. Thats what I do and when I get a new customer and they are reluctant to do fondant I have them taste the box stuff and then taste mine and they never look but and hardly ever go back to frosting. usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%