Does Anyone Own A Cricut And If So..........................

Decorating By thin4life Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 2:19am by cavette

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 35

Does anyone own a Cricut? It is used for scrapbooking. It cuts out all kind of shapes. I was wondering if it would work with frosting sheets. The possibilites would be endless if this would work. I would love some comments on this.

34 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 35

I don't know frosting sheets are really sort of fragile. Plus there is the whole not made for edible materials thing.

Julia

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 35

I have wondered that too.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 35

I have one, but i dont know if it could be used for that. Id be interested in finding out also.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 35

I have a Cricut and it cuts pretty thin paper but I doubt it would work with frosting sheets because when you use the machine, you take your paper that you're cutting and stick it to the self-sticking mat. When the machine cuts your design, the mat is there to give your paper substance and provides a place for the blade to bear down while cutting. Once your image is cut, you have to "peel" your image off the mat and I think the frosting paper would probably stick.

You can definitely cut templates out of heavy paper that you could lay on top of your frosting sheets then cut out with an Xacto knife.

Interesting concept, tho - you might wanna write the Cricut people and see if they'd consider looking into a way to cut frosting sheets. I'd love it!

Julie

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 35

Dunno about frosting sheets, but i have heard of people rolling gumpaste superthin, letting it dry slightly and using that on a cricut... haven't tried it yet myself but i may one of these days when i am bored.

rvanok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvanok Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 35

I use a Cricut to cut gumpaste. First of all, you have to remove all of the tackiness from the cutting mat, otherwise you can't get the paste off after it's cut. (I literally rub it all off with my fingers then wash the mat in hot water.) To hold the paste in place, I apply a thin smear of crisco to the mat. I roll the paste thin, to a #7 on my pasta machine, and let it dry slightly. It works best with old gumpaste actually. I trim the paste so that it does not extend beyond the area that paper would normally be on the mat. I set the blade depth to a 4.

I get very clean, precise cuts except when the blade needs to be cleaned (after about 24 uses). I just remove the blade holder and use a straight pin to flick out the build up of paste. It comes right out, and I'm up and running again.

Hope this helps!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #8 of 35

I have been to a Kansas Day of Sharing (ICES) and they did this with dried sugar veil pieces, it was so awseome! They did also use Gum Paste i believe. It was really neat!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #9 of 35

that sounds like such a good idea

rvanok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvanok Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #10 of 35

Great idea about using dried Sugarveil!

I'm going to play with that, as well as the frosting sheets. I'm sure the frosting sheets will cut cleanly, what I don't know is the best way to affix one to a cutting mat so you can remove the cutout without distorting it. Hmmm....something to think about!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:37am
post #11 of 35

wow this is such a cool machine for such a good price, i have watched the infomercial several times to think up ways to use it...thanx for the info!

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 35

I really wondered if there was a way to use Cricut for cakes. Now I know!!Thanks!

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #13 of 35

You read my mind. I have been wonding if I could use it with thinned gumpaste for a while now. Think of how much easier it would be to add writing to a cake. I just may have to invest in it now.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 35

OK gals and guys, I tried a frosting sheet on the cricut and it worked GREAT. The only thing is set the machine to only one cut, do not cut for a second time. This is definitely being added to my Christmas list.

Does anyone know if frosting sheets come in different colors or can you only buy them in white?

grandmacupcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmacupcake09 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

OK gals and guys, I tried a frosting sheet on the cricut and it worked GREAT. The only thing is set the machine to only one cut, do not cut for a second time. This is definitely being added to my Christmas list.

Does anyone know if frosting sheets come in different colors or can you only buy them in white?

You can air brush your frosting sheet to make it different colors. Also, try pringing designs on the frosting sheet and then cutting out your design. The best results for cutting is to take off the backing paper and put it on the mat that has been brushed with crisco. Tape the edges down with scotch tape so it won't move while cutting. The designs come right off with no trouble.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #16 of 35

I love this idea. Can someone advise the best machine to get. I have surfed the net and found there are three different models. Cricut Machine, Cricut Expression and Cricut Create. The last two seem to give you smaller cuts .25. With the DVD from Linda Mclure what machine does she use. Also looked at software you can download from craftedge.com. Need someone to advise me and give me info before I buy as these are very expensive from this part of the world. If you want to pm me that would be great as I don't want to hog the topic. Thanks Audrey

grandmacupcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmacupcake09 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 35

You can use any size cricut for cutting gum paste. The difference is the size of the mats you use. The Expressions can cut a 12 x 24 mat, the mid size cuts a 12 x 12 mat and the small one cuts a 6 x 12 mat. They all can use the computer programs to cut any design. It depends on the size design you need. Most cakes are 4" tall so the small one works great and is the one I use.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:47am
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmacupcake09

On the Birthday Cakes page there is a camo cake. The board is covered with camo paper. The same picture was printed on a frosting sheet and used as a border around each tier and the letters were cut out of the same frosting sheet. I made the same cake and it looked great.

Can you post some pics of what you've done with your cricut? I can't speak for everyone, but I THINK all us CC'ers that are intrested in it would love to see your cakes!

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 35

I've only used the Cricut to stencil things on my cakes, but if you are REALLY interested I have a Cricut (Provo Craft) account and can get you Cricuts/cartridges. If you message me I can let you know the wholesale costs for the items you are looking for and you can price compare.

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #20 of 35

I have seen on tv the ads and there's a chef who says he uses it a lot (dont' exactly now how). What are frosting sheets? I'm not familiar with them. Also, I went to MIchaels' yesterday and saw the cricut machine, regular price $199 on sale for $99. Not sure if that one with work for cutting the gumpaste. Does anyone know wich one is it and if it would work?

Veronica

Briarview Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #21 of 35

I have just spoken to the NZ distributor of the Cricut Machines and she has advised me not to use Sure Cuts Alot with my Cricut Create (Yes I have weakened and bought one) as it is inclined to blow the motherboard in the Cricut machine. She says that there has been a block placed in the programme and makes Sure Cuts Alot not completely compatible thus the problem. Has anyone heard of this as I really wanted to use this programme. Could be a sales pitch I don't know. What experiences has anyone had.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #22 of 35

Briarview... look up this website: www.scrappingtable.com She also has videos on youtube. I don't think there is any problem with SureCutsALot!
I just bought a cricut expression and its scheduled to arrive here in two days. As soon as it gets here I will be downloading SCAL!

Briarview Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #23 of 35

Thanks SharonK1973. I have already checked this out and have saved in Favourites to check out again when I get my machine tomorrow. I have downloaded the SCAL to my desktop and have had a play and intend to use it. Perhaps if I don't put the Design Studio on at first and see how I go.

Briarview Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:51am
post #24 of 35

Just had an email from Michelle (ScrappingTable.com) and she informs me I have no worries.This is what she says: Yours is now the third case of FUD I have received from the Australia/New Zealand area that has been traced back to the distributor. Please let me explain FUD. At the end of this explanation, I will provide you with a little more background about your Cricut. Whats FUD? FUD is a like a hoax. Yet, it is more than a hoax. FUD is a common tactic designed to create "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt" in the minds of consumers and is so well understood that it is studied in business school strategy courses. There is even a Wikipedia article about FUD.
The term FUD was first used by a former IBM executive and it is defined as: The term for any strategy intended to make a company's customers insecure about future product plans with the purpose of discouraging them from adopting competitors' products. For example, "You can try using X instead of our product, but you may lose all your data." So I now know I have nothing to worry about and hope I haven't concerned any of you with SCAL. Definitely going to buy it. Michelle was so helpful.

rc1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rc1980 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:32pm
post #25 of 35

So after reading this post I ran home and tried this.... icon_smile.gif ... Well I couldn't get mine to cut right. I did all I could think of and it still didn't work icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
Does anyone know the actually instuctions to do this???

Briarview Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:28am
post #26 of 35

Wow I've just got my Cricut Create and cut my first design from cardstock. It was really easy to use but I now need to know about the gumpaste. Grandmacupcake09 what settings did you use with the pressure and speed and what number did you have your blade. I see that I have markings on the mat of the shapes I have just cut. Is this normal or have I the blade on the incorrect number. Think I will get a mat especially for the sugarpaste. Waiting for the DVD to arrive from DesertDesigns but it has to come from US to NZ so will take a wee while. I want it yesterday. I think I may be able to cut out those cupcake wrappers in my simple designs. I was on a site that showed how to cut out on a curve. Must go back and have another look. Just as well it is Winter here and I haven't many wedding cakes.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:56am
post #27 of 35

So, the smaller cricut will do?,( I just want to make sure before I invest on it) or should I adventure and make the bigger buy? What do you gals think?  icon_confused.gif

Briarview Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:33am
post #28 of 35

miny it depends what you want to use it for. The way I see it most cakes are only 4" in depth so you wouldn't want to cut anything larger. I could see there could be problems if you wanted to use it for scrapbooking. Anyway if you wanted to cut out large monograms you could do it 6" wide or cut what they call portrait and get a larger one. If you haven't a machine yet it probably is all very confusing but I have read the books etc but of course there will be something that crops up that I can't do. I want to do the sugarpaste project but think I will wait until I get the DVD. I would love to know if any one else has had a go. There are dials to set depth of blade and speed and pressure which I will have to work out. Will let you all know as I do each project. Would love to hear from others who have used the sugarpaste.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #29 of 35

Thank you Briarview I do scrapbooking with friends at church but I never handle the cricut, some people are there just for that, they bring 3 machines (small, medium and large) so we get exactly what we need but I was thinking if I can make cakes with this I'm gonna save and buy me one but I don't have the money right now (since it's an expense I wasn't planning on) and I'm going to put on hold many other things I want to make sure I'm not gong to regret the purchase hoping I got a different model, know what I mean? I'll wait until I make sure but I want to hear opinions. Thanks again.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #30 of 35

I stopped at Michael's today and they had a rack of Cricut machines that they were selling for $99. Down from $199.

Now to convince my husband that it would be a good investment. . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%