Chocolate Cake Combinations Needed Please

Decorating By colabear71 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 6:05am by colabear71

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:03am
post #1 of 13

I have my first commissioned cake this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif It is a baby shower and the mom to be wants chocolate cake. She requested one layer to have buttercream filling and said to surprise her one the second layer. I am still very new to caking and am looking for some suggestions as to your favorite or most requested fillings for a chocolate cake. I was planning on doing a butter recipe chocolate cake, but am not against trying something different before this weekend.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to decorations...I would appreciate them. The theme is western/farm animals. It will be a two tier cake. I've got a few ideas from cakes that I've seen here on CC, but I'm open to other ideas too.

Thanks,

Kim icon_smile.gif

12 replies
caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:07am
post #2 of 13

You could do a chocolate ganache filling. I like to do that with a thin layer of raspberry jam. Tastes like a Ghirardelli candy bar.

I saw a farm animal cake on the pinkcakebox.com website today that is so cute. You could use it for an idea, perhaps.

Good luck!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:08am
post #3 of 13

How about a fruit type mousse? I found a nice recipe for a Raspberry Mousse in the recipe section here. I haven't tried it yet, but it got really good reviews. It is essentially cream cheese, coolwhip and a seedless jam. That would be good with chocolate I think. Personally I'd do both layers with it.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:36am
post #4 of 13

Nutella mousse? If she likes hazelnut.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:31am
post #5 of 13

I do what caincakemaker suggests all the time...yummmmmm. Make a fresh raspberry puree if you can; if not seedless jam works well. I whip the ganache too.

Nutella is a GREAT suggestion WOWEEE is that good with chocolate cake, but I generally would not want to surprise someone with a nut filling, in case of allergies.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:38am
post #6 of 13

passionfruit.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:02am
post #7 of 13

I love Bavarian cream filling, counter-balances the blatant sweetness of the frosting and chocolatey-chocolate of the cake.

Or, I'd go with raspberry....tried and oh so true! icon_biggrin.gif

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:31am
post #8 of 13

Black cherries and chocolate ganache with cream is really delicious. Chocolate with a caramel filling works well too.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:05am
post #9 of 13

Whipped white chocolate ganache, or white chocolate mousse.

Or how about a whipped cream cheese filling? Oh YUM!!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:36am
post #10 of 13

Fruit based, strawberry, or raspberry thickened puree.

Pastry cream. icon_biggrin.gif

Chocolate mousse.

Mike

colabear71 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone. The mousse or cream cheese style filling sounds great...I'm think raspberry might be a good one to go with.

Another question though, how stable is the mousse with cream cheese? How long can it be out after being filled or decorated?

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 13

Favorites around here: Chocolate raspberry ganache, caramel IMBC, cookies and cream, sweetened whipped cream (with or without chopped toffee bits). Yum!

Melanie Mc.

colabear71 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:05am
post #13 of 13

Just wanted to thank everyone again for there suggestions.

I went with a chocolate cake with raspberry mousse. I was a huge hit with everyone. I'm still getting phone calls about how delicious it was. I posted a pic of the complete cake. Let me know what you think. I feel it was ok. I ended up with an absessed tooth and a trip to the ER with a killer migraine, the day before the cake was due.

I would appreciate honest feedback so I know what I am doing right and what needs improvement. That's how we learn.

Kim icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%