Sprinkles Sweating On Cupcakes

Decorating By clmiller1206 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:14am by clmiller1206

clmiller1206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clmiller1206 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 5

Helpful advice needed for this newbie...

I have a contract to deliver 20 dozen (yes, thats 240!) cupcakes to a local place of business each month for their employees. I have been using shallow plastic storage boxes to transport these since they have handles and are much easier to carry than multiple cake boxes. I have been baking on Saturday, frosting with sprinkles on Sunday and delivering on Monday.

The problem is...by the time I get them delivered on Monday morning, many of the sprinkles have practically melted from the moisture. The BC frosting is okay - still soft, but the cupcake tops that show underneath the frosting are a little sticky. I have never had this problem with the standard cake boxes and I'm sure that humidity is to blame for this, but don't know how to prevent it. I don't have enough space in my fridge to store all of these cupcakes.

Any feedback would be welcome - I have tried searching the forums but haven't seen this specific topic. I have been completely hooked on this website since joining a couple of weeks ago - my husband is starting to wonder about me. I have already learned a lot from everyone else's posts. Thanks!

4 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 5

dont put the lids on the plastic containers , its causing the cupcakes to sweat. leave off until delivery.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 5

I agree dont use the lid , They will be just fine,If you have to, lay a very loose peace of plastic wrap on the top after they crust just dont seal the side down so they still get air.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

agree with sweetcakes. Dont' worry about no refrigeration unless you're using a perishable icing or filling in them. I never refrigerate my cakes.

clmiller1206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clmiller1206 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your speedy responses! Wish I had known it this morning when I delivered. I had thought about leaving the lids off, but was afraid they would get TOO dry since the cake part is not completely covered. I will take your advice next time. You guys are awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%