Question About Pricing Cakes!!

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 1:50am by diana83

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 5

i need to know how to figure out price of my cakes per slice...

right now i figure out the price for all of my ingredients and then multiply it by 3.5 and round to the nearest dollar for my cake prices... but i'm starting to get more business and i want to be able to blurt out an answer right away.. not have to calculate everything!!

4 replies
robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 5

You could figure out a per slice cost and then just multiply it by how big your cake is going to be.

I have a set price for my round layer cakes and sheet cakes. I have a chart for the counter help to use. When someone asks about a price at the bakery the girls up front can say that a 10" round cake starts at $___ and it may be higher if you want a complicated design. At least they have a ballpark idea then. If they need an exact price I can give it to them. Occasionally I'll have to think on my feet, too, which I don't like to do. I always try to aim higher than I think it will be, and then if it turns out I overestimated I can knock a few dollars off.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 5

Well, if you're happy with what you have been charging, do the math backward for a few of your cakes. So if you usually charge $40 for an eight inch cake that serves 20, then $2 per slice is your price.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 5

I think you also need to shop the market in your area. You don't want to underprice yourself or overprice yourself too much.

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

i too was wondering the same thing, i live in charlotte nc, and i just too started doing cakes from home, and people usually think that $2.00 per slice is pricy they ask if that is the lowes i can go, for butter cream, and i still need to figure out the price for fondant since i buy it premade. so what do you guys think? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%