How Much Do You Charge For Delivery?

Baking By Newatdecorating Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 3:38am by mommyle

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 11

I live approximately 17 miles town and am going back and forth on a set delivery charge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 11

17 miles x 2 = 34 round trip miles x my rate of $1.25 per mile = $42.50 delivery fee.

It's not just covering your gas ... it's covering the use, wear/tear of your van, tires, commercial insurance, and the payroll for the person in the van (whether it's you or someone else) to drive around for an hour delivering something.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #3 of 11

I charge $.50 per mile one way. I know, I know, I'm driving round trip. I think .75 per mile is the government allowed. Don't forget that you have to pay tax on your delivery fees (if this is right...I haven't checked into it yet).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 11

Bear in mind, folks, that what the gov't allows for a business tax deduction and what you charge for a service rendered are two TOTALLY different things and they don't really have that much of a bearing on each other.

If I want to charge $10 a mile, I can. What the gov't allows me to deduct as a business expense has nothing to do with it.

I just don't want people thinking they are locked into charging just whatever rate the gov't sets up.

MichelleM77 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #5 of 11

Thanks indydebi! I wasn't too sure on that anyway. I should leave that up to the business experts on here, but I knew I had read something about it. icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 11

irs charge is based ONLY on gas and car expenses- not the other things like payroll and overhead as indydebi pointed out. As usual, she is 100% right. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:04am
post #7 of 11

I recently changed my delivery fees to $30 an hour roundtrip- the majority of my deliveries are 45 mins-1 hour one way......so lately when I mention how much it will be I hear a short gasp and quickly followed by---"I'll just have someone pick it up". No problemo!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:33am
post #8 of 11

I charge beaucoup for delivery. My time is so much more valuable than gas will ever be.

MichelleM77 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 11

I'm almost ready to have a local delivery radius that is free and then everyone else can pick it up. If you wanted something from the bakery across town you would have to go pick it up from them, so why not me too? Most places don't deliver anyway.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #10 of 11

Good point Michelle!! I know a local bakery that won't deliver unless onsight set-up is necessary.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #11 of 11

To quote directly from my site:

Delivery of wedding cakes within the city of Calgary is $25. Outside of Calgary we reserve the right to charge $0.40 per kilometer, each way. With some cakes it is possible for a designated person to pick up the wedding cake, however we do reserve the right to insist on delivery. And, really, who wants the stress of worrying about a cake on your special day?

Now, if you have better wording for me, fire away, but I think this covers it all. I used to say that I charge by 1/2 hour, but I know I drive faster than I should!!!! Birthday and other occasional cakes I have them pick it up, unless it's a cake that needs to be delivered. Or unless I can make a 2 birds with one stone out of it, like my DD's friend lives nearby and I can either drop off or pick up for a play date, or there is a reason for me to go that way, you know? I'll stop rambling now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%