Help, Help, Help!!! I Have Dusty Fondant

Decorating By maurerba Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 2:57am by peg91170

maurerba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maurerba Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 6

This in only my second time working with fondant and it has been a chalange for me. Now I finally have the dress covered with the fondant but it is all dusty with corn starch. What do I do? I have tried brushing it off but I am just pressing the fondant into the cake. Please help me ASAP. I just want to finish this thing!!!!!
Beth

5 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 6

I just use a pastry brush very lightly brushes it off without paressing the fondant hth

Sue

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 6

Dusting with a clean, dry pastry brush should solve the problem. It is recommended that you don't turn the fondant over after you've started to roll it out, to prevent this problem. (It still happens. I've resorted to lightly coating my hands with Crisco and rubbing them over the fondant. Not the best solution, tho.)

maurerba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maurerba Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the help. I ended up using a small soft paint brush and lightly brushed it. It helped but it is still a little dusty, oh well. I will have to remember not to flip it over next time. I was just happy after killing my fondant last night with trying to roll it out about 7 times. (It kept sticking.) I had to make a new batch MMF this time. icon_smile.gif I only had to roll it out twice. It is MMF all the time for me for now on!!! Unless someone can give me some tips for how to keep regular fondant from sticking. I used Toba's recipe but it just did not work well. Thanks!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

give it a light rub down with crisco and wipe off the excess; it will be shiny for a while but all absorb back in after a couple of hours.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #6 of 6

I lightly wipe it clean with a clean, dry wash cloth. Just like with your small paintbrush, it didn't get 100% of it off, but it looked better than what it was after I put the fondant on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%