White Buttercream

Baking By Melan Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 12:02am by Jayde

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:36am
post #1 of 8

Can someone please post a recipe for a white buttercream? Mine is always dingy looking. I just need enough for a 9x13 but it needs to be a bright white.

Does Wilton's tubs of decorator's icing crust? How does it taste? If you know I would appreciate it. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 8

are you using a clear vanilla? If not, the regular vanilla extracts have kindof a tint and will make your buttercream not as white. but if using clear vanilla extract (like wilton brand) it should be white. I do think there is something out there that you can add to make it look white, but I have never tried any. I always use the clear vanilla. hth icon_smile.gif

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 8

I forgot to add that wiltons decorating icing does crust. I use to use it before I took all the wilton classes and now I make my own buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

Melan Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 8

I usually make my own, but I am in a time crunch today. I use clear vanilla, it just comes out dingy looking and not bright white like I want it too. I use half butter/shortening recipe. Oh well. I went ahead and bought some of Wilton's. I need to make Mexico's flag so I didn't want dingy white... It'll work I guess! Thanks!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 8

Post your recipe. Are you creaming your butter, and shortening long enough?

Mike

Melan Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 8

I use 1/2 cup shortening, 1 stick butter, clear vanilla, 4 cups powdered sugar -water as needed for consistancy.

How long should I cream butter and shortening? I always thought it's because of the butter being yellow but I don't like using butter flavoring and all shortening.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 8

Cream it till it turns white, and fluffy.

Mike

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:02am
post #8 of 8

Melan try IndyDebi's crusting icing. Its super white, especially if you use the clear vanilla. It crusts really well and is super easy to make.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%