Giant Cheeseburger Questions

Decorating By korine Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 4:53am by cakemom55

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 17

Hi
I would like to have a go at the giant cheeseburger cake. I notice that they are always covered, were as the cupcakes are just straight cake, is there a reason for this?
What way do you prefer to do them, with buttercream or fondant?
How on earth do you cut and serve it? icon_lol.gif
And lastly what have you charged for such a cake?
Thank you so much for your time!! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:46am
post #2 of 17

I did a hamburger cake the other day and its in my photos if you want to see. I've seen actual cakes without fondant and those like mine with it. I think its just a personal preference. I did mine's with buttercream covered with fondant. Mine is actually a yellow cake top bun with a chocolate cake in the middle and a strawberry cake for the bottom bun. I don't know how the people who I gave the cake to cut it. The cake i did was just a way to put myself out there but if I did charge it would've been in the 100s for me.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 17

I have done quite a few cheeseburger cakes....mostly in buttercream. Some of the "toppings" were fondant. They are really easy to do and I personally love them. I just cut them like a regular cake. I believe I charged $45 or $50 for them.

korine Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you! I am looking forward to trying this one out. Jenbenjr, would you be ok if I had any questions if I pm'd you? I would love a bit of help!

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 17

I did a cheeseburger cake and it was a lot of fun.

Mine was kind of huge - 3 - 10" cakes. Iced in buttercream with some fondant and buttercream toppings.

Because it was so big, we had to cut it like the larger round cutting chart shows to cut. Could not cut in pie shape - well, I guess you could, but man, what a huge piece of cake that would be!

Have fun with yours!!
LL

korine Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 17

Im going to give this cake a trial run tomorrow. The lady wanting the cake would like it done with buttercream. I am wondering what icing did you use and how did you color it for the bun? icon_confused.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 17

i did mine when i was first starting out, and it is featured on my business card. what kills me is that the suitcase/bible cake, which took over 80 hours to do, and is featured right next to it, never gets the "oh my god, that's a cake!!"...it's always that darn cheeseburger, which took like 6 hours, tops!!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=754903

i did mine in buttercream, and then airbrushed everything the color it needed to be. i was just learning to do airbrush, in fact it was my first time, and i got too close to my buttercream on the "buns" and the "burger"...it actually ended up making it look more realistic though!! i also took a fork, and textured the burger part. the only thing fondant is the lettuce and cheese.

korine Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 17

Thank you for your help, but I dont know how to airbrush... icon_redface.gif so I will have to come up with a good color to mix in. By the way, your burger is great!!

cakemom55 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 17

I colored the buttercream I used for the bun using brown, ivory, and orange. Really....it was just adding a little of this and that until I got something that was close to the bun color.

On my burger, I made fondant pickles, onions and cheese. Ketchup, mustard and lettuce were all done with buttercream.

For my burger part, I crumbled a chocolate cake and added buttercream to "stick" it back together (cake ball style). I did not add any additional icing to it after that.

Be sure to post a pic when you get your done!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 17

I made a brownie in the same pan in which I made the cake for the bun, and used the brownie as my burger. I left it as it was, and it really looked like a burger.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 17

I made a burger cake for my grandson 2 years ago. He wanted it to be an 8 pattie one because he and his friends had been ordering that from Burger King. I separated it every 2 layers with a cake board. I colored mine a really light tan then airbrushed the top darker. If you aren't using an airbrush I would just paint on a darker color on the top using thinned color and an art brush.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=643383

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 17

I did a cheeseburger cake just last week. I have the photo posted. I used all buttercream. 3 10 inche cakes alternating layers of yellow and chocolate with cookies and cream buttercream filling. Tinted the bun with a bit of cocoa a smidge of red and a bunch of yellow. Trial and error I guess but the color came out great. I used chocolate buttercream for the "burger" and crusted it in crushed oreos (cream removed). Lettuce tomato and cheese were fondant. Hope this helps.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 17

Charge for that one (huge of course) was $75. I removed top tier which was on a cake board before slcing and it was doweled for transport in the middle. It was a foot high so I didnt want it to fall.

korine Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks everyone for all your help, Im going to have a go at it today, a practise run of sorts. I'll post a picture when I get them done! Thanks again.

korine Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:59am
post #15 of 17

Ok, so I tried the burger cake out and would love any tips on improvement...please and thank you!
LL

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #16 of 17

I think it looks great!! Great job icon_biggrin.gif

cakemom55 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #17 of 17

Looks like you did a SUPER job!

Way to go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%